General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

custom intake heat shield

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
custom intake heat shield

It started as a post fastener at home depot. I glued on thermotec exhaust wrap to the bottom and covered with electrical tape (fibers were shedding everywhere). Then painted it hi temp black, let dry overnight, and set it on top of the filter. Seems to be holding in place but we'll see once I drive it. Not too ghetto I hope??

Old 06-07-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ohnoitssoysauce is an unknown quantity at this point
does it seem to help at all?
Old 06-07-2005
I'm taking over!

Big Rob has a little shameless behaviour in the past
^ yeah, what he said!
You might also want to use heat wrap on the rest of your intake and your headers.

Last edited by Big Rob; 06-07-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-07-2005
Registered!!

dariusld is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it just me, or is that more of a heat trapper or even an air blocker than a heat shield. I'm just thinking hot air rises. All the other intake heat shields seem to have their openings on the top. I like ghetto and free or cheap stuff. I think it might work better with the opening facing up and little bit more breathing room.
Old 06-07-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
the main worry was that radiator hose which made the bottom part of the filter super hot compared to the rest. Header isn't that bad actually, but the intake pipe does get burning hot. I haven't driven yet, but I will tonight and see if the filter still feels hot.
Old 06-07-2005

Titleist71 can only hope to improve
Gearbox, I would do this...take the intake pipe out...thermal wrap the bejezus out of it......wrap all the other things that could be and make the box only open to the area that would bring in fresh air. My K&N box seals out the hot air and is open to the ducting that brings in the cool air. I think just making the shield will keep the filter clean...you may still be sucking the hot ambient, stagnent air.
Old 06-07-2005
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
Gearbox why dont you just remove your grill cover, it will allow more air into the engine bay and help to get rid of some heat. I was amazed at the results when i removed mine, especially in the winter time. I would drive 40 minutes to school and there woundnt be any heat transfer to the intake, still cold like it was sitting. But now thats its summer there is NO escape from the heat! My intake gets to hot to even touch, good luck with your project though.
Old 06-07-2005
Premium Member

thanks everyone. my main concern was blocking the radiator hose from nearly touching the filter. I know its not a real heatshield and the filter is in the worst spot to make one. Almost no room and sitting in the middle of the engine bay almost. I don't wanna wrap the intake tube cause that's ghetto. DIZZLE, i would remove the cover but its actually molded as part of my upper grill. So I would have to take the whole grill off--again very ghetto.
Old 06-07-2005
Premium Member

actually the intake still does quite well when its 90F and everything is too hot to touch. So I guess I'm gonna wait for winter anyway
Old 06-07-2005
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
Im telling you Evo hood! turn that box the other way, and yould almost be set. then you could run a blower fan from that box, to try and push some of the air inside the engine bay around.
Old 06-07-2005
Premium Member

and i keep telling you no money. lol. That shield only cost me $10.
Old 06-07-2005

TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
get a haircut and get a real job. ha! Nah its cool. Oh did you try adding a vavle to you coolant lines that run into your throtle body? (cant think of the name right now, brain fart)that might help cool the temp. of the intake down a little.
Old 06-07-2005

also have you tried fliping the box around so the flat part is underneith?
Old 06-07-2005
Premium Member

i like how it looks now. And flipping well it won't stay attached to the filter. Idk, I might take it off if it doesn't work out. I'm kinda worried about the e-tape falling off. I'm gonna drive it tonight and see what happens.
Old 06-07-2005
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
so how is the typhoon working out for you gearbox?
Old 06-07-2005
Premium Member

i'm very happy with it even in the 90F weather we're having. Better than fipk and aem sri by far. I'm still tryin to schedule a dyno this weekend.
Old 06-07-2005
Registered!!

zen_master is on a distinguished road
nice...

im waitin for the result...lol

interested in one too..
Old 06-07-2005
Registered!!

flqu05 is an unknown quantity at this point
heres one that actually works.

Old 06-07-2005
Premium Member

Well I took mine off. Afraid something was gonna get sucked in from the back and tape falling off. I doubt it would've helped.

And that one up there? No way will that fit on my filter. There is .5 in of clearance around it.
Old 06-07-2005
Registered!!

flqu05 is an unknown quantity at this point
smaller filter.
Old 06-07-2005
Registered!!

dariusld is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by flqu05
heres one that actually works.

Looks like your mom lost her vacuum cleaner
Old 06-07-2005
Registered!!

Hayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gearbox
It started as a post fastener at home depot. I glued on thermotec exhaust wrap to the bottom and covered with electrical tape (fibers were shedding everywhere). Then painted it hi temp black, let dry overnight, and set it on top of the filter. Seems to be holding in place but we'll see once I drive it. Not too ghetto I hope??

well the intake shield does look a little ghetto, but you made it look clean. As far as will it make a big difference I'm not sure but I kinda doubt it...
Originally Posted by Titleist71
Gearbox, I would do this...take the intake pipe out...thermal wrap the bejezus out of it......wrap all the other things that could be and make the box only open to the area that would bring in fresh air. My K&N box seals out the hot air and is open to the ducting that brings in the cool air. I think just making the shield will keep the filter clean...you may still be sucking the hot ambient, stagnent air.
I agree with him tho ^^^

Last edited by Hayz; 06-07-2005 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-07-2005
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
i'm very happy with it even in the 90F weather we're having. Better than fipk and aem sri by far. I'm still tryin to schedule a dyno this weekend.
why do you say its better then fipk if he seems to heat up more and get realyl hot?
Old 06-07-2005
Premium Member

i didn't like the fipk for 2 reasons.

1. too loud after 3k rpms (typhoon is quiet up to 4k rpms)

2. not enough power to justify the noise (typhoon I feel like makes more power)

Only the dyno will tell for sure...maybe cause its mandrel bent?
Old 06-07-2005
Registered!!

zen_master is on a distinguished road
just watched the videoo...

i wonder...how it sounds like at 6-7K rpm..............hmmm...

thanx gear =)
Old 06-07-2005
Premium Member

i didn't like the fipk for 2 reasons.

1. too loud after 3k rpms (typhoon is quiet up to 4k rpms)

2. not enough power to justify the noise (typhoon I feel like makes more power)

Only the dyno will tell for sure...maybe cause its mandrel bent?
wasnt the fipk cooler though? always have there pros and cons i am sure, arent the aem ones mandrel bent as well, or what is so special about being mandrel bent?
Old 06-07-2005
Premium Member

mandrel bent means smoother airflow. not just for exhausts. fipk i guess was cooler, but you have to think, that heat shield will eventually become hot or air will move around it. The filter is still in the engine bay. Also I didn't like how the fipk sounded. It was actually louder than the typhoon imo. Aem I don't know what happened there cause low end was horrible. Maybe pipe was a tad bigger. The typhoon has amazing low end for it being 85 outside now and alot hotter underneath the hood. I think in the winter its gonna feel like a turbo I'm hoping for at least 5hp/5tq from dyno.
Old 06-07-2005
Premium Member

so im guessing you have a dyno with your car before the typhonn?
Old 06-07-2005
Premium Member

yup. That's the 100whp one I got but that was when it wasa colder so we'll see. It's gonna be alot hotter this time around. Things that changed are typhoon, aem pulley (ps only), fp60 fuel additive for a month, kamikaze header instead of ebay (same port size). So really the only thing that would give hp is the intake. pulley maybe 1.