General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

intake temp and rpms?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
intake temp and rpms?

So I got a new metal intake short ram and I'm driving tonight. Temp is around 76F and I notice something different. Even tho the intake tube and engine bay are burning hot, low end response is great, even better than stock sometimes up to 4k rpms. Well if I try and push the gas more or get it past 4k, I notice a big loss in power compared to stock. Does intake temp have to be cold for hi end and warm for low end? or do I just need more tuning?
Old 06-06-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vantage should not be trusted
the gain of response at low end is basically what an intake gives u, cause its able to suck in more air faster, thus the better response, but losing intake above 4k RPM does sound weird, but i have heard about it b4. Temps dont matter for high/low end, as always colder is key at either end. I dont think tuning will help u much for an intake, it just pays to buy a more expensive intake that has proven itself, rather than a cheap Ebay style intake.( i hear Iceman makes a good intake)
Old 06-06-2005
Registered!!

joelwastaken is an unknown quantity at this point
heres k&n's dyno chart for an FIPK on a 7thgen:

http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/57-3513.jpg

its the same for the k&n's typhoon also

ya both do make you lose 1-2 hp from 3700-4200rpm
Old 06-06-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
those dynos are whack. And you can't tell anything about low end because they don't have a torque curve. The only thing that dyno is good for is 5krpms and up for hp. typhoon actually makes more whp than fipk according to k&n.
Old 06-06-2005
Registered!!

well its kind of hard to say which one really makes more whp according to k&n cause they test the FIPK on an ex and the typhoon on an lx
Old 06-06-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Vantage
just pays to buy a more expensive intake that has proven itself, rather than a cheap Ebay style intake.
ive read on some other threads that alot of people said they actually actually got better throttle responce and gains with the cheap ebay intake with like a universal k&n on em than with an injen or an aem, cant say about the iceman tho...

but ya i wouldnt know i havent owned either
Old 06-06-2005
Premium Member

oh interesting. and the typhoon was tested at 20F hotter temps. Well I'll find out next saturday at the dyno.
Old 06-06-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
agreed. cold air is the best in the end ... after reading thoroughly through the hundreds of threads on heat soak on clubrsx, I am never going to short rams again (unless it's the rainy season)
Old 06-06-2005
Registered!!

czechcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I think more people should try the Iceman... I guess they just dont want to deal with the fuse box relocation...That and it isnt as big a name brand as it used to be........But it really is a great intake.....Really helps the low end....and top end is just as good if not better than my old aem V2...But no one seams to believe me and kornised that it really is great purchase.....(im pretty sure we are still the only ones who own it on here still)
Old 06-06-2005
Premium Member

i just hate the way it looks or I would've tried it. Typhoon looks so much nicer.
Old 06-06-2005
Registered!!

Vantage should not be trusted
also, u might want to make a heat shield, or wrap the exhaust heat wrap around the intake tube, both of these will make the air entering ur manifold colder, u can also use dryer ducting to let cold air into the engine bay. i had it on my CRX and worked flawlessly.