General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Thermostat? Pump? ehatever, its a major issue now!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whelan is an unknown quantity at this point
Thermostat? Pump? ehatever, its a major issue now!

OK so it started with my car not putting out heat whenever it was at a light, nothing but cold air until I would start driving again. Then the coolant was low so I filled it and capped it. Well just the other night the temp gauge spiked for a second and I had to turn on the A/C to get the fan to kick on. For some reason now the car regularly gets to the 3/4 line before anything happens.

I checked my fluid today and its empty!!! I cannot understand why, there are no leaks in my driveway nor where I park at work so where it hell is it? Any ideas, its a 2002 EX Coupe with only 50k on it, so why have issues now!?!?!?!
Old 06-04-2005
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
ok I know this sounds dumb but check your oil, is it milky or frothy. Also when you park your car is there excessive condensation in the tailpipe or anything??? It has to go somewhere and it sounds to me like the head gasket. Have you done any mods??? If so list them. Maybe it would be something to do with mods. A lot of time temps will spike if the coolant temp sensor isnt submersed in coolant or if there is an air pocket in there somewhere, which would be another indicator of low coolant. If its not an external leak then I'd say its a headgasket, even at 50k it is possible, not likely but possible if say the car got over heated or something. Another thing, if you had no heat at low engine speed it was probably also from low fluid also because the pump isnt pumping enough fluid to keep the heater core full. Check fluids all the time guys, just because its new doesnt mean it never needs to be checked out. Preventative maintainance is way cheaper in the long run.

Last edited by 02fpcivic; 06-04-2005 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-05-2005
Registered!!

Whelan is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I put fluid in and it is running fine. I even let the cap off and ran the fan so air bubbles would come up and out.

So it ran fine for like over a day and today I checked it at random and it was down about not even half a cup. So I topped it off. I am thinking it is mroe an issue with the air pockets than anything, no condensation, no smoke, etc. Ill keep an eye on it on a daily basis though. Thanks for the info.