General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Removing coil springs for coilover install

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2k2civic should not be trusted2k2civic should not be trusted
Removing coil springs for coilover install

I looked at the coiolver DIY but I am still not clear on this. When you take off your stock springs - you compress the spring, take it off the strut...but then how do you uncompress it without having it shoot off across the garage? Also, when you put in the coilover (matrix), do you HAVE to cut off the bottom perch?
Old 01-04-2002
Registered!!

pinkytoe is an unknown quantity at this point
ok heres the deal- depending on what type of tool you are using to compress the spring- it differs-
you oviously know the first step is to remove the sruts and shocks fom the vehicle-

then if your using a rented spring compressor- usually consits of 2 identical looking tools- (looks like 2 long bolts with arms to grab the spring at either end) use this to compress the spring- compress the spring

then the top nut of the strut must be removed in order to remove the spring from its pearch- remove the compressed spring

remove the spring- once the spring is out then you can SLOWLY lossen the bolts on the spring compressor to remove the tool from the spring-

or if you have 4 jack stands- remove all teh struts bring them to a local shop and thell zip them off for you for next to nothing- sometimes nothing at all- THIS IS TOTALY DANGEROUS AND I DO NOT RECOMEND THIS !!!!!!!!!!!! but if you have a air compressor with a impact gun you can zip off the top nut of the strut while your foot rests on the side of the spring- the strut will go skidding across the floor into whatever object at a HIGH velocity- i rcomend you take them to a shop- its a hell of a lot easier

once the strut is free you can cut the lower portion of the spring pearch off- this is optional- if you want to lower your car like mine (refer to link below) then its totally nessacary- this is grueling work- the pearch is attached to the strut via 3 tack welds- the pearch from there edges out- starts to move up verticly then goes out again at a slow angle to where the spring rests- i cut mine at that slow angle point- leaving only about 3/4 to 1 inch of the orignal pearch on the strut- just enough to support the bottom of my coilovers- trust me on this one- youll want to cut them- i used a hacksaw and about a hour and a half of cutting- it sux but its worth it- the rear shocks dont require any modification (thank god)- hope this was helpful-
Old 01-04-2002
Registered!!

Are the arms of the spring compressor usually long enough so that I can loosen the spring up until it is completely uncompressed?
Old 01-04-2002
Registered!!

Never mind - I'm gonna do it at my uncle's shop and he has one of those big spring compressors like the guy in the coilover DIY is using.