General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

sparco seat belt question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gnat1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
sparco seat belt question

I just installed my racing seats in my car. The problem is that now i have to try and figure out how to install my sparco harness. It's a 4 point harness so i have 4 points that need to be bolted down. I currently have all 4 tied to one bracket on my drivers side but dont have the passenger side hooked up. Well what i did was I went and bought 8 self taping 0 ring screws and thought about just screwing 4 of them into the floorboard directly behind each seat. So the question is do you think that will work? if not then i'm all up for suggestions on how to get this set up right.
Old 02-03-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
NO. Thats just asking for the belts to kill you.
I still do not understand the fascination with racing harnesses on the street. They're incredibly uncomfortable to sit in the car for long periods of time with and you can't move.
First off, you can't just screw stuff in the floor pan and expect it to hold if you crash. I bet every single one of them pulls out and the belt goes with it.
If you're going to do that, then you need to drill the floor, and bolt them down using large fender washers or backing plates underneath the car to ensure they don't pull out. Even then, I don't recommend doing it, nor would anyone else.
There's an FIA regulation regarding harness straps that they not make more than a 45 degree angle from the horizontal plane. Any more will result in the belt compressing the spine and litterally folding you in half backwards in the event of a crash, rather than holding you in and letting your body go forward and come back as it should.
You could install a harness bar between the bulkheads behind the seat provided its secure and strong enough it will not buckle or give way in a crash, or the better solution is to use the stock locations that hold the rear seat belts.
Pull up the bottom cushion, you'll see the bolts for the rear seatbelts. Bolt the brackets in there. For the lap belts, use the bottom bar on the side of the car that the stock belt slides on and use the buckle/tensioner bolt on the side of the seat for the other.
I hope you have a roll bar/cage. Cuz if you don't and the car flips over, the harnesses are going to kill you.

Yeah, it sounds harsh, but its the honest truth.
Old 02-04-2005
Registered!!

SODJAZERO is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Cuz if you don't and the car flips over, the harnesses are going to kill you.

i use to want racing seats
Old 02-04-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
link for bar pic

This is a link to a pic of the bar needed to safely use the 2 upper belts on a harness. top right pic....it wont let me post it.
Old 02-05-2005
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
NO. Thats just asking for the belts to kill you.
I still do not understand the fascination with racing harnesses on the street. They're incredibly uncomfortable to sit in the car for long periods of time with and you can't move.
First off, you can't just screw stuff in the floor pan and expect it to hold if you crash. I bet every single one of them pulls out and the belt goes with it.
If you're going to do that, then you need to drill the floor, and bolt them down using large fender washers or backing plates underneath the car to ensure they don't pull out. Even then, I don't recommend doing it, nor would anyone else.
There's an FIA regulation regarding harness straps that they not make more than a 45 degree angle from the horizontal plane. Any more will result in the belt compressing the spine and litterally folding you in half backwards in the event of a crash, rather than holding you in and letting your body go forward and come back as it should.
You could install a harness bar between the bulkheads behind the seat provided its secure and strong enough it will not buckle or give way in a crash, or the better solution is to use the stock locations that hold the rear seat belts.
Pull up the bottom cushion, you'll see the bolts for the rear seatbelts. Bolt the brackets in there. For the lap belts, use the bottom bar on the side of the car that the stock belt slides on and use the buckle/tensioner bolt on the side of the seat for the other.
I hope you have a roll bar/cage. Cuz if you don't and the car flips over, the harnesses are going to kill you.

Yeah, it sounds harsh, but its the honest truth.
good post
Old 02-05-2005
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
what Boilermaker1 said is completly true. my friend has racing seats and a 4 point harness too, and thats the exact same spot they installed the belts (using the rear seat brackets). i personally think its pointless having racing seats in a daily driven car, but meh, different strokes for different folks...