General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Hella Supertone install with OEM foglights (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supz is an unknown quantity at this point
Hella Supertone install with OEM foglights (with pics)

I recently bought the Hella Supertone kit from rallylights.com, and came into some trouble trying to find a place to mount the horns.

The problem is that the mounting locations where you would normally install the horns were being occupied by the OEM foglights I have on my car. I ended up guessing and checking various locations for about 5 hours, trying to find any spots within the bumper that I could fit the two new horns, which are much bigger than the OEM horn.

I finally found two spots, in front of the wheels that allowed me to fit the foglights, bumper and horns all at the same time.

Pictures are here

Some things I wasn't happy about after the install:
- The Hella mounting bracket, which was made up of three layers of metal stacked up next to one another, could not be easily bent to accommodate my non-stock location. To work around this, I just took a single layer from that bracket, and bent it. It was very flimsy, however did a good enough job holding up the horn, that at 1am I decided to just deal with it, and maybe sometime in the future replace it with something stronger.
- I didn't use the hella supplied relay, because I couldn't find the honda relay to replace it. I think that I may be losing some performance from the horn because of this, as the horn is just as loud as the stock horn, except it actually sounds like a real car now, instead of a monotone little match box car horn.
- Right now the horns are blasting into the plastic of the bumper, which I think slightly muffles them.

Anyway, I wanted to put this up, so if anyone else wants to do something similar, they'll have a point of reference.
Old 01-11-2005
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
cool, nice install.
btw i don't think relay would make you lose any performance. more for a safety issue.
Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
should have gone for the airhorn
Old 01-14-2005
Registered!!

supz is an unknown quantity at this point
wonderz,

Thanks! I think you're right -- yesterday I got to really use the horn, on some old person that decided it was their job to drive me off the road. This horn is nice and loud -- got the guys attention, and maybe gave him a heart attack. Why do you say the relay may be more of a safety issue?

AggressiveAdam,

No thanks -- this thing is great. If I got the airhorns, I'd probably still be installing them.
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
the relay is more of a safety issue because the horns might try to draw more curent than the wiring for the OEM horn can handle. Hooking up a relay lets the oem horn wiring activate the relay, while it draws power from a seperate connection, usually straight at the battery or fuse box