General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

new key problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bhc786 is an unknown quantity at this point
new key problems

I had a new key made for my civic and it wont start the car all the way... i kno our cars come with the immobilizer system...so is there a way that i can set it up to recognize my new key
Old 12-23-2004
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
I'm gonna have to say no.

You'll have to go to the dealership and have them cut a key with a chip in it.
Old 12-24-2004
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
$40 cdn for the key from honda
$40 cdn to program it
Old 12-24-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

shmik1 has disabled reputation
the dealer told me the key acts as an antenna and is really just sending the signal from the chip (his metaphor or whatever for explaining it)

he also said copies will only work for doors/trunk etc, and WILL NOT start it, and to get a copy u HAVE to goto the dealer.
Old 12-24-2004
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
i make keys at work and the one i made for the car doesnt turn it on. the one i made only opens the doors and trunk but when its in the ignition it cranks it but doesnt start the car. in fact, all newer cars that are out i cant make a key for them cuz of the chip in side.

you'll have to go to honda and get it done
Old 12-24-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tacheon is on a distinguished road
Any locksmith with a handheld programmer can make a key for your car. It's a matter of whether or not the locksmith has the programmer which determines if he can program a key to the car. There are aftermarket transponder keys available for almost every car on the market. They generally cost a lot less than the dealer. ILCO makes an aftermarket key for Hondas. I should add that there are 2 ways to get a new key to work with your vehicle. 1) Use a handheld programmer to program in the new key to work with your ecu. 2) Clone an existing transponder to the new key with a key programmer. The second option isn't wise if you lost a key. You want to use option 1 to erase the lost key so it can't be used to start your car by an unauthorized person. Also, not all transponders can be cloned.

Last edited by tacheon; 12-25-2004 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-25-2004
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by tacheon
Any locksmith with a handheld programmer can make a key for your car. It's a matter of whether or not the locksmith has the programmer which determines if he can program a key to the car. There are aftermarket transponder keys available for almost every car on the market. They generally cost a lot less than the dealer. ILCO makes an aftermarket key for Hondas. I should add that there are 2 ways to get a new key to work with your vehicle. 1) Use a handheld programmer to program in the new key to work with your ecu. 2) Clone an existing transponder to the new key with a key programmer. The second option isn't wise if you lost a key. You want to use option 1 to erase the lost key so it can't be used to start your car by an unauthorized person. Also, not all transponders can be cloned.
im highly doubting your going to find any key smith with a programmer. Besides honda
Old 12-25-2004
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
So, um, what happened to your second set of keys?

It won't recognize your new key, unless like mentioned you some how get it to produce the same thing a stock one does...
Old 12-25-2004
Registered!!

tacheon is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AggressiveAdam
im highly doubting your going to find any key smith with a programmer. Besides honda
Depends on where you live I guess. In Vancouver, BC there are mobile locksmiths who can make and program a key on the spot and program your ecu. They can also clone a key if you bring one into their shop.
Old 12-25-2004
Go Team Venture!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
yeah.. the big AAA subcontracted companies around here also can program a key on the spot..
Old 12-26-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tacheon
Depends on where you live I guess. In Vancouver, BC there are mobile locksmiths who can make and program a key on the spot and program your ecu. They can also clone a key if you bring one into their shop.
really, i stand corrected,

Im off to vancouver in feburary for powder season @ whistler
Old 12-26-2004
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by againifall
yeah.. the big AAA subcontracted companies around here also can program a key on the spot..
wait, so random ppl can just walk up to a car and program a key into your ecu?