General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.
View Poll Results: Who does your oil change?
I do my own
69.86%
I take it to a quick lube place
15.42%
I take it to the dealership
14.72%
Voters: 856. You may not vote on this poll

Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UltimateWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
I just think if you change your oil regularly it doesn't matter. I think the better oils are for people who let it go too long. JMO. I change mine before it even gets real dirty so I am sure Moble 1 is fine for me. So I think I just answered my own question.
Old 10-25-2004
Registered!!

mradam85 should not be trustedmradam85 should not be trustedmradam85 should not be trusted
i use AMSOIL full synthetic 5-20 and a fram oil filter, i only change it every 7500 miles just like they say. the bottle is more expensive but cheaper in the long run because you can go 7500 miles. plus it sounds stupid but i swear it runs smoother with the AMSOIL. i would highly recomend it.
Old 10-26-2004
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
you should consider changing the filter halfway into your 7.5k interval. filters are cheap, and you wouldnt lose much oil, .5qt maybe. 7,500mi on a regular fram would make me nervous.
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

mradam85 should not be trustedmradam85 should not be trustedmradam85 should not be trusted
yeah i think i might cause i beat my car pretty hard. btw i use that tough gaurd or whatever that bs is, anyway its the more expensive one
Old 10-29-2004
Registered!!

dustyjoe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
motorcraft 5w20 (gf-4 rated) wix filter. every 5000 weather it needs it or not. M1 is good but for only 5000 miles. motorcraft works fine. (synthetic blend g2/g3 base oil)

btw: For what its worth wal-mart supertech filter is a mobil 1 filter knock off, better than fram and its cardboard insides and cheper too. I've used it and works fine, but wix is outstanding quality for 6 bucks

If you all want to research go to www.bobistheoilguy.com see the uoa and filter sections

Last edited by dustyjoe1; 10-29-2004 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-01-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by dustyjoe1
motorcraft 5w20 (gf-4 rated) wix filter. every 5000 weather it needs it or not. M1 is good but for only 5000 miles. motorcraft works fine. (synthetic blend g2/g3 base oil)

m1 can go a lot longer than 5k.

civic si 0w20 uoa with a tbn of 5.5

4cyl accord m1 0w-20 uoa's, 7k oci with tbn's ranging from 5.3-6

91 civic uoa's with m1 0w-20 with tbn's ranging from 7-8 after 4k, most conventional motor oils have a tbn of 7 or 8 when they are brand new.
Old 11-08-2004
Registered!!

draganjr is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a couple of questions. I went to AutoZone to get a Mobil 1 oil filter but the filter is really small. I want the bigger one but the guys up there at AutoZone have no clue, which one should I get that would work. Also how do you measure 3.7 quarts of oil? I I know it will be three but on the fourth one how much to you pour in the engine and how much should be left in the bottle? Thank you.
Old 11-08-2004
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by draganjr
I have a couple of questions. I went to AutoZone to get a Mobil 1 oil filter but the filter is really small. I want the bigger one but the guys up there at AutoZone have no clue, which one should I get that would work. Also how do you measure 3.7 quarts of oil? I I know it will be three but on the fourth one how much to you pour in the engine and how much should be left in the bottle? Thank you.
My advise, and this just IMO, use the Honda filter. The Honda filter is just like a Fram, but with more filteration material. The amount of material in the Honda one is more than Mobile 1 or any otherfilter on the market.

As for the oil thing, there should be a clear strip on the side of the bottle with some tick marks on it. You should be able to see .75 quarts easily
Old 11-08-2004
Registered!!

I change my own oil and I currently use the Honda filter but I done have time to run to a dealership to get the filter. I would like to use the Mobil 1 filter once to try it out but I don’t want to use the small Mobil 1 filter. I am unable to locate a web site or list of the cross-references for a bigger filter. Could any one help with that? Also for the quarts I don’t have one in front of my to look at it but I know the strip on the side but I guess I don’t understand or know how to read it. I just pour the oil in till the oil is almost empty because I see it has .7 is more then half. So I pour in just more then half. Thank you.
Old 11-09-2004
Registered!!

bradmanuwf will become famous soon enough
I worked at Wal-mart and then Sears for almost 3.5 years so I know all about changing oil and wouldn't let anyone else touch my car but me. I use Fram filters on my car cause they are inexpensive and I have used them all the cars I change the oil in for years and had nothing but good results. I use Castrol Syntec 5w-30 too. The good stuff...lol
Old 11-10-2004
Registered!!

Flashlightboy is an unknown quantity at this point
draganjr,

The upsized filter is the M1-104. This is the filter that was used until a couple of years ago and it is the current filter for the S2000. Honda published a memo a couple of years ago telling dealers that it was OK to use the larger filters until their stock was depleted at which time they'd switch over to a universal filter (M1-110).
Old 11-11-2004
Registered!!

Thank you Flashlightboy
Old 11-23-2004
Registered!!

So M1-110 is ok to use?
Old 11-24-2004
Registered!!

TSSCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea, the M1-110 is okay to use.
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

dustyjoe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
"m1 can go a lot longer than 5k."

ctx66, I agree with you. A study was done a while back that showed it could go 18,000 miles in a camero. but you are talking 5 bucks a quart vs. 1.42 for motorcraft and these days motorcraft is not too shabby either. I have used m1 before and probably will again those times I feel like beating on it. Bur for now MC is good enough.

r.
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

yea, ive used mc in my civic, its great stuff. i currently have m1 in there for the colder weather here in new england. but once it gets warm again ill probably go back to mc
Old 12-07-2004
Registered!!

Specialk_19 can only hope to improve
I go to the dealership to get my oil changed. I sometimes feel that they don't change my oil. They just raised the price to 39.00 to have a oil change.
Old 12-07-2004

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Specialk_19
I go to the dealership to get my oil changed. I sometimes feel that they don't change my oil. They just raised the price to 39.00 to have a oil change.
39.00!!! I pay 15.00 and they check and fill all the fluid and wash the car
Old 12-07-2004
lkm

lkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trusted
for fvcks sake. NOOO.

go buy your self a jacking kit and about 4 quarts of mobil 0-20w synthetic oil = $20 and filter = $3-$10 and a ten pack of washer and drain bolts. jack car up, remove bolt, let oil drain, remove filter, put new one in after lubing the rubber ring, get ur new washer and drain bolt and put em in. after everything is tightened, filter hand tightened, bolt, enough but not too much. put about 3 quarts. start ur car, let it circulate, then see if u need more oil and add some.
Old 12-08-2004
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted
i do my own man......fram filter and castrol gtx all the way
Old 02-06-2005
Registered!!

12sec elcamino is an unknown quantity at this point
I use Mobile 1 10w30 because its synthetic and they are usually a little on the thin side compared to conventional oil. Also use Napa Gold oil filters, these are truely one of the best filter one can use. Cut one open and compare it to ANY product and you can tell the difference. Napa filters are made by Wix and Wix makes filters for industrial equipment like Kenworth and all of the tractor trailers. Its a very high quality product compared to fram, puralator etc... I think Royal Purple is a outstanding product as well, however this is a economy car not a top fuel car that needs a premium oil like rolay purple. Just my 2cents...
Old 02-06-2005
Lost in the Matrix

Transformer_Guy is on a distinguished road
I let the dealership change my oil. I am too lazy to do it myself and I do not have jacks to raise the car up. It's easier for me anyway cuz they are pretty quick at doing it and saves me a lot of time
Old 02-06-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
I only buy the oil and go to my friends shop to have the oil dumped right because You cannot dump oil anywhere. It is illegal.
Old 02-07-2005

Originally Posted by 12sec elcamino
I use Mobile 1 10w30 because its synthetic and they are usually a little on the thin side compared to conventional oil. Also use Napa Gold oil filters, these are truely one of the best filter one can use. Cut one open and compare it to ANY product and you can tell the difference. Napa filters are made by Wix and Wix makes filters for industrial equipment like Kenworth and all of the tractor trailers. Its a very high quality product compared to fram, puralator etc... I think Royal Purple is a outstanding product as well, however this is a economy car not a top fuel car that needs a premium oil like rolay purple. Just my 2cents...

If Wix is so great, why don't you buy Wix filters? Have yoo cut a Honda OEM filter yet? I believe there is alink in the begining of this thread that compares all those filters + Honda's OEM one. They say the Napa and Wix filtration material is better than the Fram/Honda filter. However, when Honda has Fram make the filter, they require fram to put almost twice as much filtration material in to the filter, hence making the filter better than any other filter on the market simply becuase thoil goes through so much more filteration material.
Old 02-08-2005
Registered!!

Most places that use wix filters use the "silver" series and those are in the same catagory as what one may find on sale for 1.99 in a pepboys add on sunday. I have never cut a Honda filter in half and Im sure they are good filter, I am just stating my opinion on what I like and I think Napa's Gold series are very high quality filters. I use them on my track car, boat, lawn mower, civic and my sisters 2004 acccord. Just stating my opinion on what I like so maybe others can have more of a viriety to choose from when selecting a oil filter for there next oil change. However I notice alot of people change there oil at 6k, I change it about every 4-5k.
Old 02-08-2005

However I notice alot of people change there oil at 6k, I change it about every 4-5k.
I agree 6k is way to long for me. I like to go about 3k, or 4k if I'm really busy.

Don't get me wrong, Wix is a good brand, it's just that in the begining of this thread there was a link to a lab that cut a Honda filter and 6(? maybe more or less) leading brands in half, tested the material, then tested a new filter. Honda's came out on top just because of sheer mass of filtration material.
I've used Wix on many thing like my lawn mower, tractor, my dad's '70 Camaro, and anything else Honda doesn't make a filter for.

How does you sister like here Accord? I have an '04 Accord too and it's such a nice car.
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

Its her first can so I would have to say she really likes it. she is 17. I dont think its that much bigger than my civic though. It has everything, leather, xm, everything but the v6, its real quiet and I like that. It seems to be holding up a lot better than my car though, not one warranty claim yet, but it only has less than 10k on it, my civic is turning 40k this week and underwarrany Honda has put about 5k in parts and labor since I drove it off the shrow room floor in Feb 2003. I bought it because the civic is the flag ship of reliability for Honda, my experance has been much different though. I hope to have no more problems since its out of warranty, this is why Im on this forum, I have never owned a Honda and Im hopeing to learn some things about the car, its my first "car" I have always owned trucks, and also my first Japanese car too, from what I have seen from doing maint. on it, seems like a very simple car to work on though. Will keep you posted on the accord though!
Old 02-09-2005

Its her first can so I would have to say she really likes it. she is 17. I dont think its that much bigger than my civic though. It has everything, leather, xm, everything but the v6, its real quiet and I like that. It seems to be holding up a lot better than my car though, not one warranty claim yet, but it only has less than 10k on it, my civic is turning 40k this week and underwarrany Honda has put about 5k in parts and labor since I drove it off the shrow room floor in Feb 2003. I bought it because the civic is the flag ship of reliability for Honda, my experance has been much different though. I hope to have no more problems since its out of warranty, this is why Im on this forum, I have never owned a Honda and Im hopeing to learn some things about the car, its my first "car" I have always owned trucks, and also my first Japanese car too, from what I have seen from doing maint. on it, seems like a very simple car to work on though. Will keep you posted on the accord though!

That's cool, welcome to the Honda world. It sounds like you got a bad civic if they had to put about 5k into it. This Accord is my 6th honda now, and I have to say to my disappointment that the fit and finish is still good in the civic, but I have this feeling that the overall quality has gone down in the civic . I traded my '03 civic EX for the '04 Accord I have now, and I have to say the overall quality in the Accord is twice that of the civic. I like the Accord's ride better, the interior is better, but those are all subjective things, the Accord just feels more solid and durable. Also, and I'm sure many on here will argue me on this, the civic is kind of over inflated right now. The Accord (in my book) stand for just as much reliability as a civic, it just doesn't get as much attention because for the most part "younger" people drive civics and like to mod them and talk about how their car is teh fastest or the best looking, while Accords are more like the fmaily cart driven by a soccer mom. Because Honda knows that middle aged people are more picky about what they buy, I think Honda put more attention into the Accord than the civic, but that's jsut my opinion.

But the Accord is a much bigger car, even though it may not look like it. Accord has almost 600 lb's more, 4.8 inch wider wheel base, and 14 inchs longer, of course comparing to the trucks you used to drive both are kinda small . I know, used to have a truck, and old muscle cars, and comapered to thus Honda's are road kill.
Old 02-09-2005
Broken Road......

nitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to all
I change mine here at the shop I manage, which is a luxury for me, that most of you will not have. I use Redline 5W20 and either Fram XG series filter or K&N filter if it available. Fram XG series is a lot better internally than your over the counter Fram PH series.
Old 02-09-2005
Still in the game...

scatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to behold
doing your own > anything else

Quick Reply: Oil Changes