General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

TB ported! PICS/REVIEW (www.maxbore.com)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
TB ported! PICS/REVIEW (www.maxbore.com)

I plan to send my TB to him next week to get it bored out. The site has alot of info on it, and the guy comes highly recommended. Here's what he says about the D17.

Hello.
I haven't done a D 17 t/b but that is no problem, since all
honda t/bs are very much alike.
Abpout port matching your manifold, I think that is
something you can do yourself.
The TPS is not supposed to be adjusted by the owner, so the
screws are the tamper proof type, but when I bore it, I
replace them with regular screws so I can set it back to
stock.
Thanks.
Jorge P.
I especially like the part about using screws for the TPS. However, here is what he says about raising the idle.

Hello Steve.
Adjusting the TPS will not raise the idle.
what you need to do is this.
There is a 7mm nut that holds the butterfly stop screw.
Very carefully, loosen the nut and turn the screw so that
the butterfly opens a little more.
that way it will let more air thru. the old throttle bodies
had an idle adjust screw, but for some reason Honda deleted
that.
lIf you are not comfortable doing that, I can do it for you.
Just send it i and I'll adjust the butterfly to let more air
by.
thanks.
Jorge P.
I just got it back! Here are some rough measurments I made.

Stock TB
-top diameter 60mm
-bottom diameter 58mm

Ported
-top 63mm
-bottom 60mm

The work looks incredible. Pics speak for themselves. I just installed it and drove around alot. Well I don't really feel more power to be honest, but the throttle response went way up. I had to really tighten up the cable for some reason. It's almost as tight as it can go, but still has a little slack. The car feels good. Also, I had to dremel out the rubber seal on the stock intake so it sits flush with the ported TB. I couldn't bring myself to port the IM and get stuff down there. Hopefully not a big deal. Anyway, here are pics.

Last edited by gearbox; 08-09-2004 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-21-2004
nor cal 7thgens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
allmotor can only hope to improve
dam nice pretty cheap to
Old 07-21-2004
Wicked Pissah Admin

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
to Tech....
Old 07-21-2004
SRT-4 owner with 2MCHPSI

jwcardy is on a distinguished road
yeah i checked him out the other day...i will be sending him my extra one also...but not until i get this kit on.....all my extra cash in going to this turbo kit...i have a deadline...and i plan to meet it
Old 07-21-2004
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
**** looks good to me. and he has a big vouch tread! i say go for it. ill be sending mine for 100 u can beat that.
Old 07-30-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I should be getting this back late next week. Then I'm gonna try and port the intake mani and post a diy here. I hope this solves my idle problems.
Old 07-30-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
^^ nice, did you get that 60 mm bore? ... what if you want bigger? say ... 65 mm?
Old 07-30-2004
Premium Member

Our TB can't be bored more than 1mm, without having it collapse. I guess you need a new TB made like the one DH is offering. Bigger is not always better, and a larger TB may cause problems. Not to mention losing some of the sensors.
Old 07-30-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
^^ well actually I was referring to a k20 tb

yes, dh's tb is way too big
Old 07-31-2004
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
I just spun a spare TB on my lathe. At aprox. 58 mm the bearings were showing. Unless its acceptable to remove the bearing seats from the inside of the TB how can we get 60mm?
Old 07-31-2004
Premium Member

Can you post a pic of what you mean? How big is the stock opening?
Old 07-31-2004
Registered!!

unxpecd is an unknown quantity at this point
I was under the inpression that the TB was made of a plastic material. A buddy of mine was pushing a 50 shot on his 01 and blew the TB apart or so he said. Is the true or possible?
Old 08-01-2004
Premium Member

The throttle body is most definately a metal of sorts. I think he's talking about our intake manifold, which is plastic (better since it won't heat up as much).
Old 08-01-2004
Registered!!

unxpecd is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe I was tired or just retarted but I was talking about the intake manifold. Anyway Sorry about that.
Old 08-05-2004
Premium Member

It comes in tomorrow! Look for pics and a review if I get it installed and running.
Old 08-07-2004
Premium Member

bump for update
Old 08-08-2004
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Your not really going to notice a HP/Torque difference with a bored out TB unless you have some kind of boost. If anything, it would hurt your low-end, or that is what I have always been told.
Old 08-08-2004
Premium Member

Interesting. I've always thought that letting a bit more air in would help power. All I have now is the ported TB and head. But you're right. I didn't feel any difference, except maybe a little less low end. Maybe tuning will fix this?
Old 08-08-2004
Premium Member

Well guess what? I opened the air cleaner box to look inside, and there's no IM overlap! So there's no need to port match the IM. Only thing I did was shave about 1mm off the rubber that holds the stock intake on the top of the TB. If you have an aftermarket intake, there's no problem.
Old 08-08-2004
Registered!!

Civryder02 is an unknown quantity at this point
awsome post and DIY looks like i'm gonna search around for a tb and go send it off to have it bored out ... YAY .... 2 more hp for my civ, if that
Old 08-09-2004
Registered!!

Eeeeeeh is an unknown quantity at this point
So you did not notice a power increase Gearbox?
Old 08-09-2004
Premium Member

The car feels different for sure, especially after driving around a few days for the ecu to adjust. I'm gonna try raising the idle to solve my shaking problem and make sure the throttle cable isn't too loose.
Old 08-09-2004
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
sounds and looks good. the throttle body should give you a 1-4 hp throughout the powerband...at least thats what they usually do on other applications. good stuff
Old 08-09-2004
Premium Member

I played with the idle and throttle cable and it feels good I think. More details tonight.
Old 08-09-2004
Premium Member

Raising the idle didn't work. The cel came on, and the rpms would get stuck when you rev the engine. So now it's back to 700rpms, which is the recommended idle level in neutral. My car still shakes a little after the new head install. Oh well, good enough. Now I need some tuning and that's it.