General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

V-afc II ***completely Useless***

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAPernoud is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down V-afc II ***completely Useless***

I have recently purchased and installed the V-AFC II in my 03 Civic Ex Coupe. I even wired the 'VTM' wire, which I know was left out of the original wiring manuel. At first, the engine for some reason had a big time idling and 'low cam' problem when the rpm's would jump around slightly...almost killing the engine sometimes. As long as the car was in the low cam status, it would jerk the car foward and backwards while driving as well. I called Apexi and they told me that the V-AFC II had not been tested on my car yet, and that they had no guarantees that it would work. I told them about the problem, and they had me connect the pressure signal back to how it was stock...and it started working normally again. Then just yesterday, I went to the dyno to have the car run multiple times. I hooked the pressure signal back into the V-AFC II unit to have a run w/ the Apexi, and the low cam problem mysteriously disappeared. BUT GUESS WHAT!!!...Above all of those problems, there was no room to even correct any kind of fuel/air discrepencies. The graph shows that my fuel/air is nearly perfect how it is!!! Of course, I also have to remember that I was only testing on 'Wide throttle', which does not account for some possible correction in 'Narrow throttle' like the V-AFC II allows. Just to give you an idea of what I am running...I have the V2 AEM intake, DC sport header, Megan test pipe, and the DC Sport 'Twin Canister System' exhaust. So maybe I'm being ignorant to what the V-AFC is actually used for, but from what I understand...IT IS USELESS on our cars!!! I will post all my dyno run results and car pics after this weekend!! Hope you guys enjoy them. FYI, I am getting the SF turbo kit in a few weeks...then goin back to they dyno.

~Mark
Old 03-26-2004
Jeremy's Iron

CivicRookie is an unknown quantity at this point
I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 03-26-2004
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough
I have riden in a car where the VAFC was very helpful, it was tuned well and I could tell a substancial difference. It was in WannaBFast's car.
Old 03-26-2004
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Ur a moron. You obviously didn't install it right and you probably didnt take it to an Apexi certified tuner.

Other people on this site have seen gains of 12+ hp on their dyno tuned cars with the VAFC II.
Old 03-26-2004
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
First of all, welcome to the site.
Second, search.
There are 3000 threads on the vafc, and one that has to correct wiring diagram and tuning instructions. Heres one thread: http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...hreadid=132810
Located in the sticky section of Tech. Try to use some of the info to correct your problem.
Old 03-26-2004
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Damn, he beat me^.
Old 03-26-2004
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, no problems here....I had it tuned with that peice of **** KMS intake manifold and it brought my torque back that I lost....Once I get the chance to get it tuned again with the stock manifold and my P&P you'll see that it is one of the best mods for your car. Why your having the problems your having, I don't know...I can tell you that you did something wrong and shouldn't try installing parts if you r not sure of what your doing
Old 03-26-2004
Registered!!

Like I said, I have already read all of the topics on the V-AFC II on this site...and the VTM wire was connected. Plus, the mechanics at the dyno shop I went to have worked with the APEXi systems before. Infact, they explained the thing to me with way more detail than I ever needed to know. Maybe I missed something...if so...let me know. I will have the dyno results posted as soon as I get back to school on sunday. If I am being ignorant to something...please kindly inform me instead of being a jackass like CarbonFly.
Old 03-26-2004
Registered!!

Ha!!!! Fly really is a good guy!!! It's just that you came off sounding like you are certain that the VAFC II is "COMPLETELY USELESS"...No doubt about it, you did something wrong, but don't worry...It will work out and you will love it once tuned and working correctlly
Old 03-26-2004
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Alright, lets walk backwards through this.......what is your setup look like? BTW, you should keep your pressure signal connected. How hight did you set your vtec engagement?
Old 03-26-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
In your situation, I would agree that it's useless. You have mods that maybe give you 5hp. The VAFCII can't be used to change anything, because your car is nearly stock. I just installed mine now and it works fine (as in no difference in performance because it's not tuned and the car is stock). Only reason I bought it is to tune the fuel when I get my ported head swapped in.

This isn't some magical mod that automatically gives you more power. Of course the air fuel ratio is tuned already on your stock car with light mods. A member here actually gained 10hp from light bolton mods and wide throttle tuning. So maybe your shop guy wasn't familiar enough with it.
Old 03-26-2004
Registered!!

gearbox...that is what they told me. They said that there is nothing major enough on my system to throw it off enough to even need correction. However, they did tell me to keep it installed because it will come in handy when I get my turbo this summer. Whoever HAS had gains using this system. I would like to talk to them. CarbonFly...I am usually very good with electronics, and I am very sure that I hooked all of the connections up correctly and securely. I have double, tripple, and quadroople checked them...especially when I was having that idling problem. Anyone here happen to live in St.Louis Missouri...Thats where I live, and it was extremely hard to find anyone who knew the company APEXi even existed. ~Thanks for you feedback guys...I'm out for the night...

Oh yeah, CarbonFly, I did not bother changing my VTEC change over points yet because they seemed to be perfect how they were to the dyno dudes. Also...I remember reading someones thread on here (I dont know if it was you or not) about our VTEC type being 1...well, I dyno ran my car on VTEC type 1 AND VTEC type 3 (which is what the manuel says for our engine) and the results were obviously in favor of type 3 just to let you guys know. Also, I did not mean to attack you w/ this thread...I guess I was just pissed that I spent so much money on something that has not prooved itself useful to ME so far.

~Peace~
Mark

Last edited by MAPernoud; 03-26-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, just wait til you get your turbo. You can always use it to monitor engine functions at least. I believe vtec=1 is the setting for our cars. Someone tried type 3 and it wasn't running well. I have mine set to 1 and it's just like stock.
Old 03-30-2004
Registered!!

Talking Dyno Results

First thing is first... Here is my car
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc03283.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	25432  

Last edited by MAPernoud; 03-30-2004 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2004
Registered!!

Talking Dyno Results

Car at Muscle Mustang...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc03257-resized.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	25433  
Old 03-30-2004
Registered!!

Talking Dyno Results

Alright...dont have enough time to completely resize all my scanned results..I'll do it later tonight...
Old 03-30-2004

sw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the rough
was thinking about getting one, but it seems like too much work(headache) for 5 horsepower. i know that our cars don't put down alot, but damn...thanks MAPernoud, i don't think i'll waste the dough...
Old 03-30-2004
Registered!!

K20A_Wanabe is an unknown quantity at this point
I live in st. louis. what county you live in i live in mehlville. Everyone always comes up to me asking what that thing is on my dash (Apex-I). It might just be the fact that my school loves muscle cars. I love my vafc II special edition even though it don't do anything yet.
Old 03-30-2004
Premium Member

VAFCII is very good if you have lots of small mods, or a few bigger ones like ported head and other engine work. You need to get it dyno tuned to see any kind of gain.
Old 03-30-2004
Premium Member

Project2k2 is on a distinguished road
I've seen a turbo owner put down 13-14 extra hp with it dyno tuned. He's a member on here, but I forgot who he was. It's not pointless if you have a car running a lot of air flow.
Old 03-30-2004
Registered!!

K20A_Wanabe, I live in frontinac...closer to kirkwood. Friends with alot of Kirkwood and Lindberg people (sure you're happy bout that..heh). We should hook up sometime..I would like to see your car. Currently, I am still at Mizzou...but I come back to STL alot. -My V-AFC II is mounted on top of dash as well. My AIM screen name is MAPernoud...drop me a line sometime. Since I found out I have a test tomarrow..I will not be posting my dyno results until tomarrow. Peace out...

~Mark
Old 03-30-2004
Registered!!

Zigen1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I gained additional 5WHP out of the safc. Cars a vtec3 ex sedan NA.

The vafc or safc's real potential will shine when paired with a turbo upgrade.
Old 03-30-2004
Registered!!

lid6662 is an unknown quantity at this point
So what was ur hp rating on the dyno???
Old 03-31-2004
Registered!!

red02 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah post that shiaat so i can cry for spending money in the wrong order !!
Old 03-31-2004
Skyline R33

guns is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Zigen1
I gained additional 5WHP out of the safc. Cars a vtec3 ex sedan NA.

The vafc or safc's real potential will shine when paired with a turbo upgrade.
Do some research on VAFC2 and boost. When the MAP sensor is at 0pis (under boost) the fuel system is maked out. SF kit uses a Vortec FMU to push out the fuel after that point. So to make it simple the VAFC2 really does not help under boost. maybe in a return fuel setup. But w/ SF kit it does not help. E-manage seems to be a better option. Can run additional injectors, retard timing, etc..

I am looking for bigger injectors and will try and use my VAFC2 to adjust back on the fuel a little. I will post results as soon as I find big injectors to fit our fuel rail..
Old 04-08-2004
SRT-4 owner with 2MCHPSI

jwcardy is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by guns
Do some research on VAFC2 and boost. When the MAP sensor is at 0pis (under boost) the fuel system is maked out. SF kit uses a Vortec FMU to push out the fuel after that point. So to make it simple the VAFC2 really does not help under boost. maybe in a return fuel setup. But w/ SF kit it does not help. E-manage seems to be a better option. Can run additional injectors, retard timing, etc..

I am looking for bigger injectors and will try and use my VAFC2 to adjust back on the fuel a little. I will post results as soon as I find big injectors to fit our fuel rail..

umm your wrong there guns...once again...a vafc2 or safc2 would benefit you evern more with boost...it mainly controls your injector pulses so it would work with the sf fuel kit....i even checked with catalyst to be sure and he told me it would definately work....he recommend it...he is running a fuel/piggyback computer too....but yes...it would also greatly help in a return setup too....either way, it has to be tuned...either by dyno or wideband
Old 04-08-2004
Premium Member

What is the final word about vtec type. I and many others have vtec=1, but alot of you have vtec=3? I'm confused. I've been running type 1 for almost a month and it seems fine.
Old 04-09-2004
Registered!!

When my car was tuned, it was set to vtec 3...Keep in mind that my tuner is one of the best around....I can't tell you the differences though, because I don't know what different between the 3 vtec types
Old 04-09-2004
Registered!!

Hwoody77 can only hope to improve

Hey, whoever installed your VAFC2...did you solder your wires? Or just connecting them and taped them?
Old 04-09-2004
Skyline R33

guns is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by jwcardy
umm your wrong there guns...once again...a vafc2 or safc2 would benefit you evern more with boost...it mainly controls your injector pulses so it would work with the sf fuel kit....i even checked with catalyst to be sure and he told me it would definately work....he recommend it...he is running a fuel/piggyback computer too....but yes...it would also greatly help in a return setup too....either way, it has to be tuned...either by dyno or wideband
Here is my logic. After 0psi the MAP sensor is isolated by missinglink or some other type of check valve.

The VAFC2 modifies the signal out of the MAP sensor. After 0psi I dont understand how it would modify the signal. I was told that after 0psi the ECU is pushing the injectors at full signal.

Is there anyone who is boosted and has VAFC2 with stock injectors? If so could you tell us what settings worked good for you and if you had any problems tuning. I did some minor tuning on mine abd waiting for others upgrades before going to the dyno again.

Quick Reply: V-afc II ***completely Useless***