General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Rotor Resurface Question

Old 03-17-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
conspiracy90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rotor Resurface Question

I was wondering how many times could the oem brake rotors be resurfaced? I know that there is a thickness limit.
Old 03-17-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
i think it really depends on how you drive. its gonna be different for everyone, thats why they have a measurer thingy that they clamp to your rotors to see if its still useable.
Old 03-18-2004
Registered!!

gusgus0513 is an unknown quantity at this point
once and the second is iffy
Old 03-18-2004
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by gusgus0513
not true, I've seen rotors resurfaced 10 times. It all depends on how worn they are when you are getting them resurfaced. If your pads are very rough on them and cut deep groves then you need to cut more off to get a nice smooth surface. However, if the groves are not that deep then the shop won't have to cut much off at all.
Old 03-18-2004
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
actually... you resurface rotors to get rid of carbon build up, not to get rid of the grooves, the grooves actually help braking because they increase the overall surface area, therefore increasing the amount of friction created.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...62#post1866062
Go to this thread to see why rotors need to be resurfaced... notice the black band around the outside, that's all built up brake pad material that has fused to the rotor surface.

or look at this picture
Old 03-18-2004
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
well if you're doing a brake job and putting new pads on, you need to get rid of the grooves. That's when most rotors get resurfaced. If you put a pad on there that is new on a rotor with grooves you actually loose contact area.
Old 03-18-2004
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
if the groves are spiral groves then it's bad, but if the groves are the concentric circles to the wheel hub then they're good because they increase surface area. The main reason why rotors need to be resurfaced is what I pictured about Sevear build up on the rotor surface causeing a loss in friction between the pad and rotor.
Old 03-18-2004
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by gusgus0513
USUALLY if your lucky you will get one resurface on oem rotors on most newer cars. This is do to rotors being made smaller and lighter to reduce rotating mass and improve fuel economy. As for groves being a good thing? well that all depends.... Its recomemded that all brake rotors be re-surfaced prior to installing new brake pads this will ensure that the NEW FLAT brake pads meet flsuh to the rotor maximizing surface contact. On the other hand if you dont mind having reduced braking, noise, and extreme initial brake pad wear with new pads installed on a groved rotor then yes you will eventually obtain more surface area for braking. But most wont recomend not maching. And if the rotor is to thin for re-surfacing by all means replace it. A brake rotor that is to thin can become a safety issue. This also applys to brake drums if they get to large in diameter then they too must be replaced for no other reason then safety.
Old 03-20-2004
Registered!!

sakabatou is an unknown quantity at this point
Reading peoples reply are so funny because it just tells me how much they don’t know. Don’t give bad advice if you your self are not 100% sure that you are right. LOL All rotors have rotor minimum thickness markings. If you resurface your rotors to thin they will overheat. When you rotor overheat they you will have heat fade (no brakes). Common rotor problems are blue spots (heat burn), scoring and rotor runout (warp). Never resurface one rotor. Rotors must be done in pairs to ensure smooth, even braking. When installing a rotor, all contact surfaces must be spotless with a crosshatch finish to prevent runout.
Old 03-21-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
conspiracy90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the quick replies.

My rotors have developed circular wear lines from using some cheap pads. Its not exactly grooves but they are not perfectly smooth either. They have also become very shiny. Do i need to resurface them before putting new oem pads on?
Old 03-21-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
i recomend to resurface / replace rotors as needed every time new pads are installed
Old 03-21-2004
Registered!!

NaSh123 is an unknown quantity at this point
i've heard it can be resurfaced up to 3 times then they get too thin but not 100% sure bout that
Old 03-21-2004
Registered!!

TonySTiX is an unknown quantity at this point
Im gonna change my brakes next week and was wondering if resurfacing the rotors is a must? or not?
Old 03-21-2004
Registered!!

sakabatou is an unknown quantity at this point
I always resurface my rotors every time I change my brake pads. You only need to change your brake pads every year so way not just do it the right way. Resurfacing your rotors will put lest wear on your pads and your brakes will work better.
Old 03-21-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

Originally posted by tfnaaf
i recomend to resurface / replace rotors as needed every time new pads are installed
As i stated above yes they do need to be resurfaced. But measured first with a micrometer to determine even if there is enough material remaining for it to be reused. Its not uncommon for todays cars to need to replace the rotors and never even have the oportunity to be re-surfaced.
Old 03-21-2004
Registered!!

NaSh123 is an unknown quantity at this point
if you do ur brake pads yourself im not sure i think you do resurface it...so they wear ur new brake pads correctly.... but if ur not doing it urself just ask the people your taking it too