General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Driving w/o front sway, bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004
Si(R) killer # 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CoupeStylz is an unknown quantity at this point
Driving w/o front sway, bad?

I'm planning on doing the LX to EX exhaust swap in the next few days, and I was wondering if there is any harm from driving around without a front sway bar for a while until I find an EX front sway bar, since the lx bar will prolly have clearance issues with my fake cat.
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

Philip is an unknown quantity at this point
nope driving without front sway bar is actually a thing for old VW Rabbit owners....it will actually take out some more understeer a weire thing but it's true....
Old 01-25-2004
Si(R) killer # 1

Thanks Philip, that's kind of what I thought, since adding a larger rear sway bar is good for cutting down on understeer - so removing the front sway bar should produce some oversteer. Of course both sway bars would be much, much better.
Old 01-27-2004
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
Having no front sway bar won't hurt anything, the HX doens't even have sway bars....
Old 01-27-2004
Registered!!

go02civic is an unknown quantity at this point
my ex have a sway bar since when?
Old 01-27-2004
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
i know a guy that races an RX-7 and he doesn't use a sway bar...
Old 01-27-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Read
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...hreadid=134778
Old 01-27-2004
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point
I have
- Front Uper strut bar
- Front Lower strut bar
- OEM Front swaybar
- RSX 19mm Rear Swaybar
- Rear Lower Strut Bar
... is that good or not??

What if i take out the all of those and change it back to OEM setup?? and what's the downside??

it's not that i want to race, but i just want my car ride feel better because right now my car feel like a little oversteer

Thank you kindly
Old 01-27-2004
Si(R) killer # 1

Boilermaker - thanks for the input, I have ordered the progress rear and oem ex sway bars, but untill i intstall them i'll drive around without the front sway for a while to see how I like it. What setup have you found to work best for auto-x?
Old 01-27-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by YS
I have
- Front Uper strut bar
- Front Lower strut bar
- OEM Front swaybar
- RSX 19mm Rear Swaybar
- Rear Lower Strut Bar
... is that good or not??

What if i take out the all of those and change it back to OEM setup?? and what's the downside??

it's not that i want to race, but i just want my car ride feel better because right now my car feel like a little oversteer

Thank you kindly
If you take all that stuff out, I don't think too much will happen. Pulling the front bar and using the OEM rear pencil sway bar probably won't do much of anything. It may actually make the car feel very loose. I for sure would leave the front strut and tie bars in, especially with no cross spring in place.

Boilermaker - thanks for the input, I have ordered the progress rear and oem ex sway bars, but untill i intstall them i'll drive around without the front sway for a while to see how I like it. What setup have you found to work best for auto-x?
My setup is in limbo right now...
It was:
Neuspeed Upper Front, Cusco Upper Rear, Spoon Lower Rear bars
RSX rear sway, Stock front sway
Stock springs and shocks at factory alignment settings
17" OZ Superleggeras with 215/45/17 AVS ES100s

It will be:

Neuspeed Upper Front, Cusco Upper Rear, Spoon Lower Rear bars
RSX rear sway, Stock 2003 front sway (13mm)
JIC FLT A2s, 500 lb front, 560 lb rear springs with some extra camber in the front
15" Esses Speedmasters w/ either Azenis or Kumho MX tires

Last years setup worked pretty well, but there was plenty more to be had from the car.
Old 01-27-2004
Registered!!

Dr5D is an unknown quantity at this point
sooo wait... if I take the bar off my EX then it will have more oversteer, and no bad effects???
Old 01-27-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Originally posted by Dr5D
sooo wait... if I take the bar off my EX then it will have more oversteer, and no bad effects???
Whether or not there's no bad effects is contingent upon if you can control the oversteer or not. If you don't know how to drive (I mean this seriously, not as a condecending remark), then I wouldn't do it, or would test it severly before making it a permanent thing. Oversteer with FWD is touchy, if you can't control it, its pretty hairy.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 01-27-2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2004
Registered!!

oh - well I do think I know how to drive.... so I will leave it!
Old 01-27-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
I ran with out the front bar on my 01 EX for a month, it was fun... basically throttle lift oversteer on demand, great for Mid and slow speed corners. Vurtually no understeer. but you need to take extra care not to upset the car when taking high speed turns, or the rear end would want to come around on you. not a problem if you know how to deal with it, but it can be dangerous for the inexperianced.

when I went to the nationals last weekend, I poped in an 03s front bar (16mm), made the car understeer a little, but with the rain we got at the event it was VERY controlable and stable. it actually supprised me as to how stable it was in the rain.
Old 01-27-2004
Registered!!

is an 03s bar different than the 01s????
Old 01-27-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Yup, on the coupe the 01-02 had a 25.4 mm front bar, and in 03 they droped it down to a 16mm......

The sedan.... 01 it had a 25.4, in 02 it had a 22mm and in 03 it got the 16mm... Go figure.
Old 01-27-2004
I'm NeonImpact's a55hat!

specter542 should not be trustedspecter542 should not be trustedspecter542 should not be trustedspecter542 should not be trusted
why would u swap a OE exhaust from an EX????
Old 01-28-2004
Si(R) killer # 1

I'm not swapping in the OE exhaust - it's all aftermarket stuff made for the EX. Do you think I'm retarded mr 8 posts?
Old 01-29-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by Zzyzx
Yup, on the coupe the 01-02 had a 25.4 mm front bar, and in 03 they droped it down to a 16mm......

The sedan.... 01 it had a 25.4, in 02 it had a 22mm and in 03 it got the 16mm... Go figure.
so, wait wait.
sorry for my suspension stupidity...
is bigger better then? let me rephrase - does a smaller one give you more oversteer? This is interesting stuff, Im trying to decide if I should get a bar from an 03
Old 01-29-2004
Autocross Junky

Originally posted by Dr5D
so, wait wait.
sorry for my suspension stupidity...
is bigger better then? let me rephrase - does a smaller one give you more oversteer? This is interesting stuff, Im trying to decide if I should get a bar from an 03

Bigger is not nessisarily better, nor is smaller. what you are looking to do with the different size bars is create balance by adjusting whats called the Roll Couple Distribution. By altering the roll resistance on the front or back of the car you influence its handling chariteristics. The basics go like this, If you increace the roll resistance on the front of the car (Increasing Spring rates or going with a larger front anti-roll bar) then you will increase understeer or decrease Oversteer. The opposite happens if you decrease the front roll resistance.

So, if you get the smaller bar the car will understeer less and possibly oversteer in some circumstances.

if you want to learn more check this out
Old 01-29-2004
Registered!!

I dont have time to read all that now... but I def will when I get some time! thanks!
Old 02-01-2004
Registered!!

half_n_half17 is an unknown quantity at this point
How is the balance with a 25.4mm bar in the front with a progress in the back? neutral or oversteerish..
Old 02-01-2004
Autocross Junky

I wouldnt know, Ive never ran like that, but Im sure you will get rid of alot of understeer, but that means that the car will want to oversteer in some higher speed situations.
Old 02-03-2004
Si(R) killer # 1

I picked up the 22mm 2002 front ex sway and the Progress rear &tie bar - should be a good combo, I hope.
Old 02-03-2004
Registered!!

half_n_half17 is an unknown quantity at this point
I finally got Gray's endlinks installed with my progress bar. I also ordered the progress front, but as i've got an 02 ex i'm wondering if it's pointless.
Old 02-04-2004
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
I say throw the bar on there, most drivers don't want to have to worry about their cas *** sliding out in the middle of a turn and most don't know how to deal with it, so toss the bar on there and drive around with it for a while.
Old 02-11-2004
Registered!!

82801BA is an unknown quantity at this point
Then what will the difference if I swap 19mm RSX-S bar for the rear while keeping the 15mm 03 EX bar in the front!? Any potential danger?
Old 02-11-2004
Registered!!

82801BA is an unknown quantity at this point
I know for a car like Prelude has the sway bar almost matching up F&R, with 24.2 front and 23 rear, what does that mean?
Old 02-11-2004
Autocross Junky

Originally posted by 82801BA
Then what will the difference if I swap 19mm RSX-S bar for the rear while keeping the 15mm 03 EX bar in the front!? Any potential danger?
Not really, the car will understeer much less. Incedently thats how I have mine set up right now.

as far as the prelude haveing almost matching bars Front and rear, that doesnt really mean much other then Honda probably has Light springs on the Prelude.
Old 02-11-2004
Post Whore General

Jodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the rough
I've noticed that stock my 03 EX handles better than my old 01 EX did stock. The smaller bar up front helps balance things out more. I'm hoping to upgrade the reaer to the RSX sway bar soon.