General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

problem w/gauge light DIY

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
problem w/gauge light DIY

I'm trying to change my gauge lights to red. I've wrapped the light bulbs in the back of the cluster with red lens repair tape. Unfortunately, I get to smell burning plastic every time the lights are on. I really need to make this work. I've done the other dash lights with the same tape already, but not on the actual bulbs. Should I try condoms, and what kind will fit? I'm also worried about light not matching. This is really frustrating. Or maybe I should put condoms on everything? Then the light might be dim. I don't know!
Old 11-30-2003
Forum Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz Erthang
yea its the adhesive that you smell burning..

you have 2 options:

1. remove all tape and use condoms (dim or not, alot safer)
2. keep tape, let the adhesive burn to no more, then keep replacing the tape over and over again (to make it stick)

i say go with #1 and get some condoms, dont ask me where though..
Old 11-30-2003
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks. The bulbs are smaller back there, so I'll do some searching. I'm gonna post a huge DIY when I finally get everything taken care of.
Old 11-30-2003
Forum Sponsor

NeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz Erthang
you wouldnt happen to know if they are the small 194 bulbs do ya?
or they smaller??

cuz if they are the 194 style, why not just get some red ones from APC, Eurolite, etc. ??

just an idea..
but i dunno on the size though..
if you can just get a bulb #, im sure i can help find some replacement bulbs to make it quite easier..
lemme know PM or reply..
Old 11-30-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Originally posted by NeonImpact
you wouldnt happen to know if they are the small 194 bulbs do ya?
or they smaller??

cuz if they are the 194 style, why not just get some red ones from APC, Eurolite, etc. ??

just an idea..
but i dunno on the size though..
if you can just get a bulb #, im sure i can help find some replacement bulbs to make it quite easier..
lemme know PM or reply..
nah those lights doesnt use 168/194 bulbs.I had blue condoms. still dim. I didnt like how things turned out. I would do whole led swap..
http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail...._CON_LITE_SWAP
Old 11-30-2003
Premium Member

The bulbs are quite smaller than 194s. Less than half the size, so I don't think there are colored replacements.

I'll try the condoms first and see how it looks. I wish I could retrofit some 194 lights in there, but the holes are too small.

Would it be possible to run a large power wire and tap five 194 bulbs off it? Are there 194 bulb holders with wiring? Then I could run the bulbs into the cluster from the top somehow. That would really be bright. Or do I need separate power wires for each bulb?
Old 11-30-2003
Premium Member

Well first I'm gonna try the condoms, which I spend $20 on already! If that doesn't work, I'm gonna run a large power wire from the parking lights into the cluster and tap 5 of the 194 bulbs off it. I found holders and can get some cheap red bulbs at the store.

Does anyone know if I can tap 5 bulbs off one power wire without blowing up anything? And where can I tap the power wire from to get it to turn on with the lights? The wire going to the cluster is really small and I'm afraid the load may be too high.

Last edited by gearbox; 11-30-2003 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-01-2003
Registered!!

stupidd is on a distinguished road
this may or may not help but the guy at www.99accord.com has completely converted every single dash light in his accord, including gauges lights. he has also done 7th generation civic too. i bought the kit and converted all my temp control lights to blue LED. I think he said that soon he will be doing the cruise control, sunroof, and mirror buttons, and hopefully eventually the dash lights too. you can buy the kit from his site or from ebay. he has the thermostat conversion in blue, red and white. if you wanna see how it looks: www.angelfire.com/sc2/cccyg/civic.htm
Old 12-01-2003
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
I have done the same thing with my center console LED's (red). Covering the bulbs just takes away more light output. Don't forget to take out the little coloured filters behind each rotary control for the heater/a-c.
Old 12-01-2003
Registered!!

yeah, actually i took out all the filters, it was just too dang dim for me. now it's great!
Old 12-01-2003
Registered!!

NorrinRadd is an unknown quantity at this point
My DIY from awhile back has the info. for the condoms/lamp covers if you need it still.
Old 12-01-2003
Registered!!

civicmorph is an unknown quantity at this point
if you are talking about the gauge face bulbs, they are #74 bulbs, u can buy those at www.autolumination.com there's a total of 16 of them on the back of ur cluster. As for the center console bulbs, I believe they are also the same #74 bulbs. 16 of them will run you about 17 dollars.
Old 12-02-2003
Premium Member

No they are bigger than #74 on the gauge cluster. Those bulbs will be too small. I ordered some condoms, and hopefully they fit. My car is a mess right now and I'm still waiting on the new cluster.

I tried the 194 bulb idea and it's gonna be a huge pain to get them in there. Plus I don't think it will look good anyway. The only way is to do like Norrinradd and acetone the back of the gauge face.
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

jackscivic will become famous soon enough
ok heres my suggestion. ive done this for my gauges and they turned out a great blue color. ive also done the blue dash leds too and there pretty close in color.

ok what i used is a light filter under the gauge face plate. its very simple and requires some sissors to do it. ive tried wrappin the bulbs and a few other tricks but it jsut didnt work out good. they cooked themselves onto the bulb

what im talking about is kinda like the color filters you put in front of a strobe light to change its color. but instead i went to micheals and bought a $1.30 see through clear plastic blue folder. ya know the transparent type. they i took my gauges out and proceded to trim them so that they would slide between the plastic material and the actual gauge face. it worked flawlessly. my needles are a brighter looking because the gauge is a nice bright blue. this is by far the easiest way i ahve found to do it. pm me if you want more info
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

NorrinRadd is an unknown quantity at this point
That's a nice idea, really great way to do it and very simple. Got any pics of how it turned out.

Originally posted by jackscivic
ok heres my suggestion. ive done this for my gauges and they turned out a great blue color. ive also done the blue dash leds too and there pretty close in color.

ok what i used is a light filter under the gauge face plate. its very simple and requires some sissors to do it. ive tried wrappin the bulbs and a few other tricks but it jsut didnt work out good. they cooked themselves onto the bulb

what im talking about is kinda like the color filters you put in front of a strobe light to change its color. but instead i went to micheals and bought a $1.30 see through clear plastic blue folder. ya know the transparent type. they i took my gauges out and proceded to trim them so that they would slide between the plastic material and the actual gauge face. it worked flawlessly. my needles are a brighter looking because the gauge is a nice bright blue. this is by far the easiest way i ahve found to do it. pm me if you want more info
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

Entcee is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by stupidd
this may or may not help but the guy at www.99accord.com has completely converted every single dash light in his accord, including gauges lights. he has also done 7th generation civic too. i bought the kit and converted all my temp control lights to blue LED. I think he said that soon he will be doing the cruise control, sunroof, and mirror buttons, and hopefully eventually the dash lights too. you can buy the kit from his site or from ebay. he has the thermostat conversion in blue, red and white. if you wanna see how it looks: www.angelfire.com/sc2/cccyg/civic.htm
I am glad to see that you installed the kit and you like it! If any of you need LEDs for your dash, just let me know. I should have the kits for the buttons, etc.. soon.

stupidd: Is it possible to send me pics of the filters that you removed? I think it would be a great addition to the how-to guide. Also would you mind if I used your pic of the final installation? It is a very high quality pic! I will put on my website that the pic belongs to you, and even put a link to your website if you want.

Let me know.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me at Nate@99Accord.com
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

oh man, that'd be great, the only thing is the defrost light went out, i think i might have jarred it. but i can definilty get you some good pictures of how i took out the filters and stuff, in fact, i could probably do that tonight
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

Your help is greatly appreciated
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

Alright, i emailed you the pictures.
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

Thanks man! Looks really good! I will incorporate this into my how-to guide soon.

I will put a link to your website in the guide as well.

Thanks again!

Nate
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

jackscivic will become famous soon enough
hey yeah ill try and get a pic of it soon. ill do a b4 and after pic. it supprizingly turned out really well.
Old 12-02-2003
Premium Member

I've decided to just leave the lights amber. It's so much brighter than using condoms. I'll post pics when everything is done.
Old 12-06-2003
Registered!!

if you want i've got a DIY for removing filters and making the lights brighter. right now it's only for the thermostat controls.
Old 12-06-2003
Premium Member

Thanks. I removed all gels and cleared the cluster with acetone. Now I have true, bright amber light. This is the product of weeks of work. I'm really happy with it.

Old 12-06-2003
Registered!!

very very nice. check this, i just finished my today too! mine is all blue though. and how did you get the blue needles?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	newgauges05.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	15319  
Old 12-06-2003
Premium Member

Yours looks very nice as well. I swapped my 02 face with an 01 and did most of the work from the 01 parts. I really like the black 01 face, so I didn't want indiglos or reverse gauges anymore. I have a sedan as well.

Blue needles would look really nice with your setup, but it's alot of work. Look for a DIY coming in an hour or so.
Old 12-06-2003
Registered!!

awesome. i think i'd like to go with white needles if possible, i have a lot of blue and it'd make the needles a tad hard to see. but it'd still look good. but definitly gimme a holla when you finish up that DIY. by the way, i have an 01 coupe AT