General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

What does a vaccuum gauge do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
What does a vaccuum gauge do?

I saw one at the meet but I've never heard of it before. What does it measure?
Old 10-27-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
A vacume gauge can be connected to your intake manifold to measure the amount of vacume that your engine is drawing. By monitoring the intake manifold's vacume level you are monitoring how much fuel your engine is using as well as how hard your engine and cooling system is working.

If you're going up a hill under full throttle your vacume gauge will read close to zero. What this tells you is that you're using a lot of fuel, and the engine is really having to work hard and is producing a lot of heat.

If you shift to a lower gear, the vacume gauge will read a higher vacume. This tells you that you are not using nearly as much fuel as you were in the higher gear, and you're engine is having a much easier time maintaining the rpm. Your engine is generating less heat for your cooling system to dissipate and the the load on things like connecting rod and crankshaft bearings is less.

Under normal highway driving conditions you can use the vacume gauge to set your speed and select gearing to provide better fuel economy and to ease the strain on your cooling systems during hot days

power of search
Old 10-27-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Cool. Thanks. Are they hard to install? I'm not gonna add any gauges but that sounds cool.
Old 10-28-2003
Registered!!

SMURF_KILLER is an unknown quantity at this point
hey I need one of those because where I live everything is like 45 minutes to an hour away.....Where can I find one??????
Old 10-28-2003
Registered!!

Looney_01Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I bet you could find one at a parts store or something.... Maybe try autometer or other gauge makers websites.
Old 10-28-2003
Registered!!

DroppIN808 is an unknown quantity at this point
ooh i learned something new today besides security issues on UNIX at class =)
Old 10-29-2003
Don't drink and post, you will end up hilarious.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant future
Just think of vaccuum as the opposite of boost.