General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Yet another "paint your headlights black" question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ferio is an unknown quantity at this point
really.. i didn't see that in the diy section.. well.. i changed my bulb a while ago. and i didn't see any bolts or screws.. where are they located at? i thought u just have to pry out the lens.... hmmm.. thanks for letting me know!
Old 09-21-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Originally posted by ferio
really.. i didn't see that in the diy section.. well.. i changed my bulb a while ago. and i didn't see any bolts or screws.. where are they located at? i thought u just have to pry out the lens.... hmmm.. thanks for letting me know!
you can pray out the outside lens. when you take it apart to paint chrome housing. thats when you will need philips screws.
Old 09-21-2003
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
If you have the money I'd buy the one at ebay, the gunmetal, they aren't painted they actually have gunmetal housing in the headlights, tell me what you think? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710
Old 09-21-2003
Registered!!

those are the ones I want
Old 09-22-2003
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
And what is the difference between paying over $100 for those lights or spending less than $10 on paint and getting the same look?
Old 09-22-2003
Registered!!

maybe because they dont have scratches on the headlights they are not painted either,and you can totally tell the difference straight off the bat.
Old 09-22-2003
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by scarpones
little circle one, cant remember name
lol the parking light?
Old 09-22-2003
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
NEW GUNMETAL ACCENTED FINISH GIVES YOU A DIFFERENT LOOK FROM ALLL THE REST!
No dude, they're painted. Just in gunmetal. And as far as the scratches, give them a week.

that and mine have a DOT number on them. Those don't say they're DOT approved. True mine are still illegal but it would be much easier to tell a cop they are since I have the number.
Old 09-22-2003
2003 Nissan Frontier

cryption should not be trusted
i lilke mine, I wouldnt waste money .. mine look jsut as good IMO
Old 09-22-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
you could just take time and do diy. cost $10 max for spray paint. cant hurt you.
Old 09-22-2003
Registered!!

plan03 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey everyone this is my first post. well i've been a member for a while but never really posted anything because most things i have questions about i usually find sooner or later. anyways, after reading this thread, i got really interested in spraying my headlights. i planned on doing it but just wasn't to sure about the whole process. i just have a couple questions though

civicvtec: i plan on doing my headlights just like yours, keeping the amber part in and after looking at your pictures i was interested on how you kept the amber section of the headlight chrome as you sprayed the whole unit black, theres probably an easy solution but just wondering how you did it

i also saw some guys around where i live and they still have the amber part of the headlight in but only the reflective part. they have the turn signal cleared but not the "bottom" part. i was wonder if anyone here did that and was wondering if that involved careful cutting? is it legal? just curious because i thought it looked kinda good

any help would be appreciated! thanx
Old 09-22-2003
Search and Learn

Originally posted by plan03

civicvtec: i plan on doing my headlights just like yours, keeping the amber part in and after looking at your pictures i was interested on how you kept the amber section of the headlight chrome as you sprayed the whole unit black, theres probably an easy solution but just wondering how you did it
actually i covered turnsignal part with newpaper and tape. although i think you could just paint whole chrome housing then put orange clip on. should turn out just fine.
Old 09-22-2003
Registered!!

Scott2055 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by plan03
I did this by puting painter's tape over the orange reflector (i lef tit attatched to the housing part you take out). I just taped the whole thing over, used a razor blade to trace the contour, and then sprayed. It's a relaly easy DIY and looks amazingly better when you're done.
Old 09-23-2003
dKj
Registered!!

dKj is an unknown quantity at this point
you dont need high temperature engine paint or wutever. the paint and clearcoat i used are only 200 degrees resistant or wutever, and theyre fine.