General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Which Helm service manual do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Which Helm service manual do I need?

See this link:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...JS2BK5E37WBK60

There are almost 10 different manuals available! Which one has the most comprehensive information regarding teardown/rebuilding/torque specs?

It would be for a 2001 lx coupe. Anyone have a clue here?
Old 07-09-2003
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought the 2001-2003 2dr. and 4dr. book. I havent read it yet, but I browsed it. I looked informative and I liked all the info. in it. I payed like 78 bucks with shipping. I recomend that book. It has the brakedown of all the civics, lx, ex, etc.
Old 07-09-2003
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Well, I see that there is a "supplement" listed for the 2001 2-door. What does that contain that the original 2001 manual does not? I don't want to be without the proper information when I go to install my coilovers!
Old 07-09-2003
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
the supplement is for the coupe because the coupe is built differently than the sedan. the supplement manual is about an inch thick.

if you're buying it just to install springs, the 4 door book is all you need, since they're the same for both models.
Old 07-09-2003
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
The supplement is only for the model stated. The book I got covers all types of civics in the 01-03. Its cheaper because it does not cover as much material as the 2dr. and 4dr. book.
Old 07-09-2003
Registered!!

What I'm really interested in is torque specs on the bolts. This is the most important. Of course, there are other things as well - such as the proper way to tear the engine down, what to remove first, etc.

Mex - I know that the coupe and sedan are different. But what does the supplement have that the regular books don't? I just want to make sure that buy a book only to find out that its not going to do me any good (considering how much they are).

BTW - what do you think of the helm manuals compared to haynes? I thought haynes were decent, lacking in some respect....

Definitely worth the money to have a manual - regardless of the situation. BTW, if any of you would feel so inclined to look up the torque specs on some bolts for me (see other thread in the suspension forum), I'd be much obliged!
Old 07-09-2003
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
I'm not sure what you mean exactly.. if you want torque specs, just get the 4 door manual. the supplement only covers areas that are different from the 4-door, like the body style, interior panels, and some electrical stuff. the supplement manual makes many references to the 4-door book. all you'll need is the 4-door.
Old 07-09-2003
Registered!!

BlueFlame is an unknown quantity at this point
Why not just go to the dealer and order the Honda OEM service manual .. it's like $70 for that, and it comes directly from Honda. It has all the torque specs and everything ...

(If you're lucky, you might get one from them for free like I did)
just ask if they have any old ones they're not using, since they usually discard them once the new edition comes in.