Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

02Si vs. 99-00 Si

Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondamexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
02Si vs. 99-00 Si

I was wondering if someone has driven both the new Si and the 6th gen Si. What are the general impressions? I´ve read they are about the same in terms of speed and acceleration, with the new one suffering less to achieve the same, but... what about that awesome exhaust note of the old Si when revving to limit?

About the looks of the new Si, I have nothing against the hatchback, I just wish there would also be a Si coupe, I´m getting old for driving a hatchback.

If you would like to see a Si coupe, why not get together and send a letter to Honda, may we´ll get one...
(dream on, right, I know..)
Old 06-22-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a 99 Si before I got my Type S. I also did the review on the 02 Si. The new Si's power is achieved thru more torque, whereas the older B series Si did not get moving until it reached 5krpm+. However the hatch is heavier than the older Si and has posted numbers slower than the coupe. Ive seen no dynos or track slips for a new Si however, the only one ive heard is that the Si with the K20A2 Type S swap still has problems breaking mid 15's. If you like the coupe go for the coupe, if you like the hatch take that....each has its pros and cons, but to me the 8k redline is what made the Civic Si Coupe what it was.
Old 06-22-2002
Registered!!

hondamexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
Ahh that awesome exhaust note with a 8k rpm redline. That is exactly the thing I most liked about the previous Si. The exhaust sound was so loud you could mistake for a motorcycle

I still don´t warm up to the new hatchback, it takes some getting used to, kind of with the Focus, first I didn´t like it and then it grew on me.

Still I think Honda should put side mouldings on both the coupe and the Si, without them the cars doors look very bland, and will easily get dents.

As for the coupe vs. hatchback, i do prefer the looks of the coupe but I would love it with the 2.0 liter engine

Old 06-25-2002
OyD
Registered!!

OyD is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it was Edmunds that tested the new SiR and ran the 1/4 in 16.1. That's only .2 difference from the Si(Ex)
Old 07-03-2002
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
i test drove the new si......... and it sucked , they added a lot opf weight to so it seems a lot slower, it was a nice ride and shifted good but when i hit the gas the thing hardley moved , i drove the 6th gen si and its a lot better.
Old 07-10-2002
Registered!!

BlackSI is an unknown quantity at this point
as far as speed, the 99-00 si has the edge--but nothing to write home about, jus a slight edge. As far everyday driver the new si is quicker on the lower rpm band. When I drove my brother's 99-00 si, I always had to rev it, if I wanted to move. The new si you dont have to rev it to get it to move, but on the same note if you do rev it, you dont get that "Vtec" feeling nearly as much as the rev happy 99-00 si.
The new si is a totally different car all the way around. I'd call it an "aquired taste," not everyone goes for that look, I certainly dont have a problem with it--but its your call of course.[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]