Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

What to look out for when purchasing a used, raced Civic? (93 DX w/ GSR)

Old 10-28-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
umbre is an unknown quantity at this point
What to look out for when purchasing a used, raced Civic? (93 DX w/ GSR)

Hello,

I am about to purchase a 93 Civic DX with B18c1 (GSR swap) and about 85k miles on the engine, 300k on the body. The car has a few upgrades, including the following:

Racing clutch
New suspension (back and front)
New head gasket
Lightweight rims
Full racing exhaust
Cold air intake

Additionally, owner exclusively uses pure synthetic oil; AC and power steering were also both removed. The car is a daily driver (5 miles to and from work) as well as drag-raced once a month on average.

My question is this: is there anything specific I should look out for beside the obvious, given that the car has been upgraded and raced?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-28-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Re: What to look out for when purchasing a used, raced Civic? (93 DX w/ GSR)

Easy, don't.
I think once a car has been turned into a concoction similar to Frankenstein's monster, its life is over.
Old 10-28-2007
7th gen old timer.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond repute

its not a frankenstein if the head and block are both gsr. i say do it ****. everything is done for you. you have a fast *** car now. and its a 93 you will prob get what comes with having a 93 but with a bad *** motor. and i have had a gsr before they are hard to blow up, and i know i love to blow up motors. its a hobby lol and if it has been to the track here and there who cares. new head gasket? wow one less thing to worry about. they go. with high miles on it..... if it was me id be all over it. just check that the mounts and all the things that were done in the swap were done right. like hasport mounts are a plus. a gsr or other vtec ecu. and it looks sound.
Old 10-28-2007
Registered!!

jdmplease is an unknown quantity at this point

you'll be fixing everything soon enough on that car.
Old 10-28-2007
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

I would say only buy it if you plan to rip the whole thing apart before driving it. And also head gaskets don't usually just go bad. Ive seen many hondas with over 250k on the origional hg. They mainly only blow when the engines are overheated or not tuned correctly
Old 10-29-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CivicHatch9one
its not a frankenstein if the head and block are both gsr. i say do it ****. everything is done for you. you have a fast *** car now. and its a 93 you will prob get what comes with having a 93 but with a bad *** motor. and i have had a gsr before they are hard to blow up, and i know i love to blow up motors. its a hobby lol and if it has been to the track here and there who cares. new head gasket? wow one less thing to worry about. they go. with high miles on it..... if it was me id be all over it. just check that the mounts and all the things that were done in the swap were done right. like hasport mounts are a plus. a gsr or other vtec ecu. and it looks sound.
You make it sound like replacing a head gasket is cheap or easy. It's neither and would turn any car purchase into a nightmare.
Old 10-29-2007
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ Verry true if you dont know how to do it yourself your gonna end up paying bigtime.
Old 10-29-2007
Registered!!

dbsk8r1212 will become famous soon enough

Get some pics of the car inside out and engine.
It might help people know what condition its in.