Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

01 Honda Civic. Coolant leak?

Old 03-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ceejherooftime is an unknown quantity at this point
01 Honda Civic. Coolant leak?

Hey everyone! Just bought a used Honda civic the other day. Needed a new radiator today. I noticed a little smoke when I stopped. When I opened the hood I noticed a sweet smell so I'm thinking coolant leak. I told the guy I bought the car from as he was replacing the alternator anyway. I though it might have been the hose that was leaking. He said he didn't find anything wrong with the hose and it was probably just moisture. I opened the hood when I got back home today and it looks like the leak is coming from a little gray cap under the radiator hose. Does anyone know what this is? If its the culprit for the leaking? Also, the leak doesn't pool underneath the car. Just hits the parts under the leak. Thanks! You can see the cap on the right
Old 03-31-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mhammond1127 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 01 Honda Civic. Coolant leak?

Ok so pictures weren’t the best, I don’t know which gray cap you are referring to but I will try to answer your question.

1.) If the radiator was replaced and it’s still leaking check the radiator cap, they do fail after a while it’s basically a spring seal idea, the seals and all will fail eventually.
2.) While the car is warm (NOT RUNNING) actually squeeze both lower and upper radiator hoses sometimes you can have pin holes in your hoses causing a leak that’s not really visible until the engine is running.
3.) Since it’s used (New to you) it’s probably a good idea to change your thermostat and the gasket, the gasket is to help prevent any fluid from leaking, the thermostat housing is metal and metal does expand when heated so the gaskets to prevent any leaking. It’s very easy to replace, you can either buy a premade thermostat housing gasket or make your own with the gasket maker that’s specifically for thermostats and water pumps whichever is easiest for you.
4.) if it’s still leaking after replacing any other parts (for example the thermostat) then check to make sure your hoses are on all the way and that the clamps are close enough to the base of the hose. Sometimes the clamp is actually what causes it to leak you can buy cheap ones at most parts stores.
Hope that helps you with your problem.