Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

sulfur smell

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drea81 is an unknown quantity at this point
sulfur smell

I have an 07 Civic Hybrid. I just got it 2 months ago. A few days ago I noticed a bad smell, I guess I would call it a sulfur smell. I had drove home from work (roughly 15 miles), did some things, then got in my car to run errands and that's when I noticed the odor. It doesn't seem to be there every time I drive. I don't notice the smell while driving, but if my heat isn't on I have the vent on to suck in outside air, or the windows are down. It definitely seems to only smell after it sits and the smell hits you the second you sit down, before starting the car. I've also noticed it doesn't always accel the same. Sometimes I can pull out of my driveway and go just fine, other times I pull out and start to drive and its sluggish. Not sure if the two issues are related in any way, just thought I'd mention it. The sketchy accleration has been going on longer than the smell. I feel like hybrids will drive differently than non-hybrid vehicles, as far as how fast you can accel. I don't have any referrence points on that. I realize it's not a powerful car and that isn't a problem. It just does have a slight sluggish quality randomly. Any advice would be helpful. I am planning on taking it to my dealership service shop, but I don't want to be completely ignorant when I walk in. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by ezone; 03-23-2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: can't read in that font
Old 03-23-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sulfur smell

It definitely seems to only smell after it sits and the smell hits you the second you sit down, before starting the car.
AFAIK only the 12v battery or the exhaust can make that smell.....and it would have to be running.

So I'll say it's probably not the car.
It might be something inside the car, but it's not the car itself.
Dead rodents?
Dead reptiles?
Dead food?
Stinkbugs?

Sometimes I can pull out of my driveway and go just fine, other times I pull out and start to drive and its sluggish.
Watch the meter that says CHARGE/ASSIST.
The ASSIST should light up (bars increase) when you accelerate briskly to show that the electric motor (IMA) is assisting in the acceleration....
See if the assist meter is missing when the car feels sluggish.

If the IMA battery is not sufficiently charged up, the IMA assist will not happen.

Check engine light on? IMA light on?

I feel like hybrids will drive differently than non-hybrid vehicles, as far as how fast you can accel.
The 05-07 Accord Hybrid was a bit quicker than the regular Accord.
But it's not a Civic.
Old 03-23-2014
Registered!!

Ok I will watch the ASSIST to see if it meters up when I accel. I have been trying to watch the IMA recently. It seems alright, but I will really watch while accelerating.

There are no service lights on. Not sure if that's good or bad, I'm going with it being good.

I did a quick lookover last night to check for anything dead in the engine compartment. I didn't see anything, but I will do it again and be more thorough. There isn't any food in the trunk or car, that was checked as well.

I did notice a plastic hinged cover is open under the car. If you're under the vehicle on the driver's side by the front door, looking toward the passenger tire the cover is about midway over. I would guess it is about 5 inches behind the front tires. The hinge part is toward the front so the open part is hanging toward the rear. I need to check in there for anything dead and of course get it closed. It looks like it needs 2 screws to hold it back on. I haven't ever looked under my car until last night, so who knows how long that's been hanging. I did run over an opposum the first day I got it, but that was 2 months ago. Maybe that's how it got pulled down.

Thanks for your info. It has been helpful and gives me a starting point.
Old 03-23-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Front of the car is on the right.

The large flat aerodynamic panels (multiple sections) covers the bottom of the engine compartment and much of the rest of the car underneath.
The front portion directly under the engine is lowered when the oil is changed.
I find that many places don't reinstall it correctly, or the pushpins and bolts get lost or damaged.

Running over stuff definitely can yank out the clips and knock the panels down anywhere under the car.

Most of the panels are held up with pushpins and bolts.
Typical Honda pushpin:

the smell hits you the second you sit down,
I think it's inside the car, with you.
In/on/around/under the seats or dash, something like that.

If it were on the outside of the car, you'd smell it outside the car.

There are no service lights on. Not sure if that's good or bad, I'm going with it being good.
That's good.
Old 03-23-2014
Registered!!

Yup! I've definitely ran over some things since I've owned it. The opposum first, then some icy slush in the road. I bet I need the pins. I can see the two holes where they go.

I wonder what's under the cover. Maybe a sensor and since the cover has fallen the sensor got damaged. I don't know. Just throwing things out there.

I will keep you guys updated though.
Old 03-24-2014
Registered!!

hughheff is an unknown quantity at this point

last time i smelled sulfur it was my battery. just throwin that out there.
Old 10-11-2014
Former Sponsor

Brandon@fattysmotorsports is an unknown quantity at this point

Might be the batteries over heating. That can cause a sulfur smell (more like rotten eggs).