Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Power Steering Fluid Contamination

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
napergman is an unknown quantity at this point
Power Steering Fluid Contamination

I trusted my memory and as a result added non-Honda power steering fluid to my reservoir. I was in a hurry. I checked the documentation later to find out the bad news.

I only added about 2 ounces (shot glass or so). I just need to top off the fluid. How bad is this situation? I will flush the system but am trying to figure out if elapsed time or engine hours is the key parameter to judge. I just did this today but probably won't replace the fluid until next week or the week after. I won't be driving the car until then either.

I read the other posts about changing the fluid (which were very good) so I think I'm in good shape from that perspective.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Power Steering Fluid Contamination

your car is going to catch fire and will most likely explode while your driving.
Old 08-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
napergman is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice reply.......thanks a million. You're so helpful....... A palm reading would have been as helpful.

I actually thought that this would be a helpful group. I am just wondering if you are the exception or the rule!!!
Old 08-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

this guy only put a teaspoon of non honda steering fluid in his car.
[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1290& transactionid=1345677667-69373072&posted_by=lowlife9_www.civicforums.com&yo utube_video_id=8CYSbBd5Njg[/autostream]
Old 08-22-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by napergman
Nice reply.......thanks a million. You're so helpful....... A palm reading would have been as helpful.

I actually thought that this would be a helpful group. I am just wondering if you are the exception or the rule!!!
haha relax. you gotta understand that some of us have a little bit of a sense of humor around here (i know its harder to detect in type) but he is just teasing you because you are overstressing yourself over something thats nothing.

if you put non-honda powersteering fluid in your power steering reservoir, noting is going to happen as long as its still powersteering fluid... now, if you put oil or something else then you might have to worry a tad bit.
Old 08-22-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lowlife9
your car is going to catch fire and will most likely explode while your driving.
no cookie for you today
Old 08-23-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just drain it out and flush a few times with oem honda stuff. the reservoir holds 1/2 the total fluid volume of the system. so drain and fill it several times. drive it around for a day at least inbetween changes to mix fluid. nothing should happen in the short term, but i would get it done asap.