Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Type II coolant on a 1993 civic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cavalo is an unknown quantity at this point
Type II coolant on a 1993 civic?

I recently came into possession of an old civic, the reservoir is half empty and it runs at a decent temperature from what I can tell; --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
regardless I am going to drain the radiator and put in Honda type II coolant is it ok to mix the type II with the unknown coolant currently in the radiator ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
1)drain the system 2)fill the block close the system 3) open the bleeder 4)run the car until coolant goes through the bleeder 5)close bleeder and top of with coolant; does my procedure sound right? --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
specs: 1993 honda civc DX 1.5liter 16valve 230,000+miles

Last edited by cavalo; 07-05-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Type II coolant on a 1993 civic?

i would do a couple coolant swaps to get mostly honda fluid in there. the generic store stuff sucks for hondas. might even want to flush with water a few times first.
Old 07-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cavalo is an unknown quantity at this point

flush with normal water? or distilled ?
Old 07-06-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

always distilled, and drive it around to mix it. wait until engine cools before draining radiator. when draining the water and switching to coolant, prolly good to do at least two drain and fills to remove most of the water.