Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012
rvs
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rvs is an unknown quantity at this point
AC Compressor

Hi,

My a/c periodically (when its hot outside), stops blowing cool air. Air does come out but its not cool . Then after 20 mins sometimes cool air resumes (and it is very cool) and so on.

Took it to a Midas. They first said we needed to recharge the a/c (was charged 140 dollars after discounts). The problem still existed. Took it back , now they are telling me some fuse/sensor on the compressor is malfunctioning. They have to replace the entire compressor since the fuse is integrated into the compressor. They willl also have to replace the filter and recharge again. So the cost will be 800 dollars (in addition to the 140 they already charged me).

Can the fuse/sensor be replaced without replacing the a/c compressor? Is it really integrated into the a/c?
Is the cost reasonable?

My car make and model=> honda civic lx 2000 (sedan)

Appreciate any advice in this regard.
Old 07-07-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AC Compressor

Take it to someone that actually knows how to diagnose a problem.
(The problem needs to occur in order to accurately diagnose it though.)

Not someone that only knows how to fire the parts cannon at it.
That sounds like what you are dealing with right now.

Handy pic of a parts cannon:

I assume you mean the "thermal protector" that is mounted on the compressor. Yes, it is available separately from Honda. I show about $57 MSRP, or $40 from here: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...R+%28SANDEN%29
Part #6 is the thermal protector set.

That's certainly not the only possible cause of your complaint though.
Old 07-07-2012
The Boss ;D

94civicd16z6 is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree with ezone; take your car another place or a few more places to get a proper diagnosis and quotes. it sounds like they don't have a clue what's going on. i haven't looked at prices or know off hand but 800 seems quite steep for the compressor being changed out, granted you need a whole compressor.. also 140 seems a lot to recharge the air. around here a lot of shops do it for half that all day, plus you can do it yourself very easily for about 30.

handy pic of a parts cannon lmao
Old 07-07-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

(and it is very cool)
This says that the compressor itself is good, and (assuming "very cool" means it is plenty cold enough) it probably never needed any recharge.

But that doesn't examine the compressor clutch or its electricals, and still leaves a lot of other stuff too.

Parts Airdrop:
Name:  StealthPartsBomb.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  31.9 KB
Old 07-08-2012
The Boss ;D

94civicd16z6 is an unknown quantity at this point

ezone you're confusing me?! what should i do to my car?! shoot the parts cannon or call for a parts drop?

i like the airdrop more haha

good stuff
Old 07-08-2012

Originally Posted by 94civicd16z6
ezone you're confusing me?! what should i do to my car?
Cliff it.

shoot the parts cannon or call for a parts drop?
Do whichever was the biggest waste of cash after it is all over.

Because paying perfectly good money for someone that knows WTF they are doing-- to diagnose what the REAL issue is, is a complete waste of money.
Far better to waste it all on guesses and inferior parts, while stroking your ego.
Never seek professional help until you have spent ALL of your money.

Drop back 20 and punt.