Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Swapping out body parts on a 2005 Civic - NOOB questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worbit is an unknown quantity at this point
Swapping out body parts on a 2005 Civic - NOOB questions

Hey guys, this will be my first time swapping body parts out and I'm a little nervous about doing so. My girl's 2005 civic has some body damage (her ex hit something and ****ed everything up) and I wanted to know if you guys would possibly help me out by telling me what size tools I need to do these swaps. Below is a collection of photos I took of the car as it currently stands:

from what I've gathered I need to remove the front bumper in order to remove the front quarter panel, correct? How about the door? that one seems like its going to give me the biggest problems. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Swapping out body parts on a 2005 Civic - NOOB questions

there held on by a couple bolts it shouldn't be to difficult. and god those rims are hideous.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-03-civic.html
http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2121

Last edited by lowlife9; 03-04-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

x2 on the rims.

You will need a size 10 socket if Iam not mistaken on the fender.
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

itzsleepy is an unknown quantity at this point

there should be three 10mm bolts on the top and one 10mm bolt at the bottom of the fender where the side side skirts would be. Take the front bumper off, 4 bumper tabs on the top 6 bumper tabs in the bottom, use a flat head and slowly pry them up. They snap pretty easy. there is phillips screw on each side of the bumper that connects to the fender in the wheel well. there are a few more bumper tabs that holds the wheel well cover to the fender that you need to take off. Do in this order,

-Bumper, wheel well cover then fender.

The door is pretty easy once you get the fender off as well. I forgot if its a 12mm or a 10mm bolt as well. Just reverse the order when you install everything else. GL
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

Haha, yeah I agree about those wheels. I'm looking for a cheap stock set up here in Seattle but having a hard time finding one. We want to get this car fixed (the wheels and body damage were from the ex) and give it back to her parents so she can move on to the Genesis Coupe 2.0T Thanks again guys for the help and the links! Looks like I know what I will be doing tomorrow......
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

boyd117 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by itzsleepy

The door is pretty easy once you get the fender off as well. I forgot if its a 12mm or a 10mm bolt as well. Just reverse the order when you install everything else. GL
Theres one 10mm in the middle and 4 12mm on the hinges, two harnesses you unclick from under the dash then pull the wiring through. Get someone to help hold the door...its heavier then it seems(dropped it on myself when I painted my car hahah )
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by boyd117
Theres one 10mm in the middle and 4 12mm on the hinges, two harnesses you unclick from under the dash then pull the wiring through. Get someone to help hold the door...its heavier then it seems(dropped it on myself when I painted my car hahah )
thanks for the heads up with door. I've got the replacement panel and door taking up room in the back of my speed3 and I'm dying to get them out. Lets hope tomorrow is the day that it'll happen!
Old 03-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

what the hell did she hit ???
Old 03-11-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
what the hell did she hit ???
She was driving in the snow and lost control, fishtailed, and slammed into the rear of a Semi-truck thankfully she walked away with no injuries. I originally thought it was her ex that caused the damage but when I asked her again she told me about the Semi-truck

Anyways, I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who helped me out with this little project. I finally got the replacement door and fender on, but now I'm having an issue with fitment Either the new parts are damaged or the sub frame was bent during the accident. I'm going to try and rip everything off again today and see whats going on.

My next question is how do I swap over the door lock? I cant figure this out for the life of me and REALLY dont wanna pay to get the new door re-keyed. Any help on this would be awesome as well......

Also, since I received such friendly/fast help with my project, I'd like to donate a couple of bucks to the site. Can someone point me in the direction to the donation page? Thanks!
Old 03-11-2012
Registered!!

itzsleepy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Worbit
She was driving in the snow and lost control, fishtailed, and slammed into the rear of a Semi-truck thankfully she walked away with no injuries. I originally thought it was her ex that caused the damage but when I asked her again she told me about the Semi-truck

Anyways, I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who helped me out with this little project. I finally got the replacement door and fender on, but now I'm having an issue with fitment Either the new parts are damaged or the sub frame was bent during the accident. I'm going to try and rip everything off again today and see whats going on.

My next question is how do I swap over the door lock? I cant figure this out for the life of me and REALLY dont wanna pay to get the new door re-keyed. Any help on this would be awesome as well......

Also, since I received such friendly/fast help with my project, I'd like to donate a couple of bucks to the site. Can someone point me in the direction to the donation page? Thanks!

looks like the chassis could be bent a bit thats why the fender is not fitting well. Anyways the door lock is easy, take off the door panels, remove the old handle and swap. if u want to keep the same paint then just remove the door handle and take the lock core out and swap. I did it once in my old civic and it wasnt too hard just a bitch to play with all the rods and removing and aligning them back.
Old 03-11-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by itzsleepy
looks like the chassis could be bent a bit thats why the fender is not fitting well. Anyways the door lock is easy, take off the door panels, remove the old handle and swap. if u want to keep the same paint then just remove the door handle and take the lock core out and swap. I did it once in my old civic and it wasnt too hard just a bitch to play with all the rods and removing and aligning them back.
I looked at the handle and on the back side I don't see how it can come out a friend of mine said something about a V shaped clip that he had to break on his friends 2003 civic that allowed the handle assembly to pop out, then he went to the local dealer and bought a replacement clip for $4. Only thing is I don't see this V clip on the assembly
Old 03-11-2012
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

you have to take apart the door from the inside, not the out side. here's the steps to do so.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...handle-lx.html
Old 03-12-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
you have to take apart the door from the inside, not the out side. here's the steps to do so.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...handle-lx.html
Thanks Mac!!
Old 03-12-2012
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

any time man =D
Old 04-25-2012
Registered!!

Just thought I would post a update for everyone who has posted in here. Thanks again for all of your help. the car just came back from the paint shop and even though its not 100% paint matched, it sure as hell beats what it used to look like. Now I just need to track down a stock airbox (the dealer wants $498 for a new one!) and some stock Honda wheels and then the car will be back to its old self.

does anyone know of a good place to try and get a stock airbox and all the piping? I cant seem to post in the for sale section so I dont know where else to go (other than a pick & pull)

keep in mind that the back door is covered in dust so the paint looks way off....
Old 04-25-2012
Registered!!

would this work for my girl's civic?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2002-20...#ht_500wt_1127

sorry for the noob questions, I just dont know jack about hondas
Old 04-25-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Yes it will work
Old 04-26-2012
Registered!!

05gen7ex is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an air box i could sell you. i just took it off and put on an intake. it has all of the big pieces just missing some screws, bc i lost some during removal. pm if interested