Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Ramps or jackstands?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt Bachand is an unknown quantity at this point
Ramps or jackstands?

What do most of you guys use for changing the oil on these?
Old 10-04-2011
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Ramps or jackstands?

Ramps. It's really personal preference.
Old 10-04-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

rams or jackstands are undoubtedly person preference

but it is unarguable that jackstands are much safer than ramps.

and that is why i use jackstands.
Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i use ramps for engine oil and other small stuff its jusy easier jack for tranny fluids and wheel stuff.
Old 10-04-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just remember ramps are not for lowered cars (i tore up my front bumper on the way down) and they are very scary to drive up onto. i say go with jackstands on each side, lower the car so that it is touching but not being supported by the stands, then keep the center of the car loaded on the jack. and slide a ramp under each side of the car as a last resort fall protection. and yes i have heard of jackstands and jack failing before. not often, but it does happen.
Old 10-04-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Jack stands.

I can't get my car up a set of ramps though, to low..
Old 10-04-2011

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gearbox
just remember ramps are not for lowered cars
x2. i would need a very long and gradual increasing ramp.
Old 10-04-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

My car at stock height was too low to go up the ramps already here. So I used stands for a while but for my last oil change I got some 2x4's and did some make shift work and managed to get up on the ramps. Scary as hell getting up there and I surely burnt some clutch because I didn't want to fully engage into gear.
Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Stands. Stock height is too low on these cars, you'll tear up the bumper.
Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

they make ramps for lowerd cars race ramps though there expensive 200+ dollars or you can make your own out of wood very simply and cheap
http://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-s...ered-cars.html
Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

^^ 3" isn't gonna do **** for me. How the hell can you get to the oil filter with 3" more clearance? I mean I'm skinny but, not that skinny. lol
Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

lol thats just a reference on how it could be done with wood that guy just made those so he could get his jack under it.
Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

^^ Ah... ok, gotcha. I spent $250 on a low-pro jack with collapsible handle so it'll go in the trunk 'cause I literally threw out my back lifting the car to get the jack under there when I had a flat. These suckers are heavy when you have to lift it by yourself. lol
Old 10-05-2011
Registered!!

you should get one of these they inflate off your exhaust
http://www.airjackusa.com:80/contact.htm#order
Old 10-05-2011

i cant clear ****.

i can BARLY get my 1.5 ton aluminum low pro jack in there.

Name:  photo-2.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  206.6 KB
Old 10-05-2011
Registered!!

^^ Good luck changing a flat tire. lol
Old 10-05-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I use a scissor jack to lift my car up enough to get my real jack under lol
Old 10-06-2011
Registered!!

01EX5speed is an unknown quantity at this point

the stock height of our cars are way to low..i ended up borrowing my friends jack...jacking up both sides and then sliding the ramps under and driving up the rest..burnt my clutch..really risky but it worked lol
Old 08-24-2015
Registered!!

Metallic1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey guys, 1st post, just bought an 06 civic lx, 2 door,
from an older gent who took very good care of it from
day 1., 151,226 miles on the clock, the car is black,
looks and runs fine!
anyway, i dont mean to bump an old thread, but cut
a few lengths of 2x6 lumber, stack 2 lengths staggered in
front of the tire, and drive the front tires onto them.
then you have about 3 1/2 inches added height to get your
jack under the car.
great info on this site, im learning a lot!, thanks guys!