Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

98 Civic - When to replace second timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snib is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Civic - When to replace second timing belt?

Hi,

I have a 98 Civic EX that just passed the 172,000 mile mark. I replaced the original timing belt (and water pump) around 85,000 miles a few years ago, and now I'm wondering if I should plan on replacing it again as my car ages. Things worth noting:

- My car is a 98 but I bought it new in the fall of 1999, so although it's technically turning 13 this year, it's really only been on the road for 12 years.

- I live in New England with its variable weather. I don't have a garage so my car is exposed to the elements at all times.

- I'm not the easiest driver in the world but I don't beat the heck out of it.

- I'm looking to replace my car in the next few years but I'm not in a financial position to do so at this time (or in the foreseeable future). I'm also not in the financial position to cover extensive repairs should the belt go. (I'm really not in the position to replace the belt either, but what can you do?)

So, my question is, when should I realistically plan on replacing my timing belt (and water pump) again? If I'm planning on buying a new car in the next few years, does it even make sense to replace it? Could I chance it or is it better to be safe than sorry?

Any advice you have is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-18-2011
Registered!!

ubnpast is on a distinguished road
Re: 98 Civic - When to replace second timing belt?

I believe for the 6th gens its 90k miles or 5-6 years. Its not really worth risking to ruin your engine, but your car does have alot of miles on it so if you wanted to take that chance you could always get a junk yard motor.

I would do it myself, the belt itself is only about $18 from honda.
Old 02-18-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the belt is only 18 dollars. Problem is, second timing belt change is also a time to change other parts. Including the tensioner, water pump, crank seal, etc. If your due your due, but it's up to you to decide how long your going to be driving this car and if when you sell it you want it to be taken care of for the next person. Sounds like youve taken care of it up until now so I suggest you keep going.
Old 02-18-2011
Registered!!

ubnpast is on a distinguished road

Where in the northeast are you located?
Old 02-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tbohar
Yes the belt is only 18 dollars. Problem is, second timing belt change is also a time to change other parts. Including the tensioner, water pump, crank seal, etc. When you gotta go, you gotta go, but it's up to you to decide how long your going to be driving this car and if when you sell it you want it to be taken care of for the next person. Sounds like youve taken care of it up until now so I suggest you keep going.
corrected above
Old 02-18-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

LoL thanks