Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Grease drain plug bolt's threads?

Old 07-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WaryDriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Grease drain plug bolt's threads?

I have grease that I often use on bolt threads to reduce friction. Is it not recommended to use grease on drain bolt threads though?

Here are the grease specifications:
Super Tech (TM) Multi-duty Complex Grease
(Extreme Pressure Hi-Temp Grease)
Base Type: Lithium Complex
N.L.G.I.:Grade 2
Timken OK Load: 55 Minimum
Color: Red
Drop point: 500deg. F Minimum
*Contains high viscosity oils [paraffinic oil, mineral oil (heavy)], plus a complex lithium soap base, plus "more".
Old 07-28-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Grease drain plug bolt's threads?

The only drain bolt I know of that has some type of "grease" is the engine block drain bolt for the coolant. You use Hondabond or another liquid sealant for it. I don't see why you'd need any extra grease. The drain bolts shouldn't really be seized up. As long as you aren't going overboard with the tightening, you should be fine.
Old 07-28-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

The drain plugs shouldnt be extremely tight to have to use it.
Old 07-28-2010
Registered!!

Foxracer24 is an unknown quantity at this point

It really isn't necessary, most of the time your bolt should come off smoothly anyway.
Old 07-28-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

The only parts I've used thread lubricant on is motor mounts and bolts on my suspension.. And I don't use grease, I use anti-seize.

edit: this ****
Old 07-28-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

+1 to that. Stuff reeks, but it does its job well.
Old 07-28-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MelJ
+1 to that. Stuff reeks, but it does its job well.
I'm used to it. Used similar **** when I was in the Navy on damn near every bolt we had.. If it wasn't anti-seize, it was a graphite (used as a lubricant) suspended in isopropyl alcohol, just because the anti-seize wasn't certified for use on nuclear systems.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 07-28-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-28-2010
Registered!!

WaryDriver is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. I forgot to specify that it is the engine oil pan drain plug I was asking about. I thought using the grease I had would minimize friction so the threads would never grind or strip going in, and it might help fill/seal the tiny spaces between the threads even though that wasn't the main reason. There's probably never going to be enough time with the right conditions for that bolt to rust and lock.

My concern was that using grease or anti-seize (thanks xRiCeBoYx for that info) for that matter on the oil pan drain bolt might not be a good to idea, since maybe some of it would come in contact with the engine oil or something like that. I would like to know if putting grease or anti-seize on the threads could contaminate/mix with the engine oil and what the outcome would be if that were to happen.

Like MelJ, 02civicsi02, and Foxracer24 said though, there shouldn't be a need to do this. Does anybody put something like grease or anti-seize on the threads of an engine oil pan's drain plug bolt or think that is a good or bad idea? If you think it is a bad idea, please explain why.
Old 07-28-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I don't see why you should need to lubricate the oil drain plug. The thread pitch is big enough that it shouldn't get cross threaded or stripped, and it's easy enough to clean off that you shouldn't get any binding or galling on the threads. On top of that, it should only be torqued to 25ft-lbs.
Old 07-29-2010
Registered!!

Foxracer24 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't even think dealerships or autoplaces do it. Correct me if I'm wrong.