Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Air filter bolt won't come off - cracked box!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bymitten is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Air filter bolt won't come off - cracked box!

I tried changing my air filter on my 2001 civic and over-tightened one bolt and it cracked the box. Now I can't get the bolt out!! It just spins and doesn't rise.

I've read other posts on this and someone mentioned to try prying up the bolt with a flat tip screwdriver and turning the bolt. I'll probably try that. Any other ideas?

Also, if I do get the bolt out, should I replace the whole air filter box or is it fine with a little crack where the bolt is? Maybe some Lock Tight for plastic would work??

Pictures are attached.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2842a.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	77958   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2843.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	77959  
Old 02-24-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Air filter bolt won't come off - cracked box!

Those bolt threads are exposed to the elements underneath and rust easily. There is a bulletin about the cracking box on early models but they never really changed the design & the bolts still rust and get super tight on all years of 7th gens.

There are threaded inserts in the lower section that the bolts thread into, you may be able to grasp the cracked portion with slip joint pliers and hold it tight enough to get the bolt out of the insert.

Every time I take mine off I put teflon based oil on the threads of each bolt and it helps out some.
Old 02-24-2010
Registered!!

You again! (CraigW) lol

Oooh! So that bolt threads into an insert, not directly into the box itself. Hmm, I don't know if I can get in that crack to hold it. :S

So would it be safe to drive with that crack in it? A big problem?
Old 02-24-2010
Registered!!

sorry, I think I mis-read that. You're suggesting gripping the outside of the crack portion with pliers ... pressing it in so the threads catch, right?
Old 02-24-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

You might try taking all the other bolts loose and try lifting the cover up leaving the problem bolt as is, the insert will come up still on the bolt.

If not,

Yes, use the pliers to close up the crack (it could break the rest of the way btw) and continue to hold it tight while attempting to remove the bolt. The inserts are round metal sleeves with threads on the inside for the bolt and grippy surface on outside to hold in the plastic they are molded into.

My guess is the insert is spinning and when you grip it you are trying to hold the insert from turning and remove the bolt.
Old 03-01-2010
Registered!!

I think I tried everything on this one ... besides using a crowbar. (Hmmm, a crowbar..... lol) I tried splitting the crack wider and even pressing it together and turning/pulling the bolt out.; didn't work. Even tried loosening all the bolts but the trouble one and pulling up on the cover. Not moving. Tried pulling the bolt out with vice grips. That bolt is really in there!! The vice grips pop off ... and they're on tight!

I'm taking my car in for some maintenance this weekend so I'll have the mechanic look at it. It hurts to pay someone for something so simple, but , sh*t happens. :P

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.