Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Check transmission fluid level

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hunch1784 is an unknown quantity at this point
Check transmission fluid level

I am the new owner of a 94 honda civic lx with 1.5L engine and 5 speed manual transmission. How do I check the level of my transmission fluid, and where do I add fluid? There is no dipstick to check if I need to add fluid and I think I may need to because it looks like I might have a small leak around the pan.
Old 11-30-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Check transmission fluid level

i dont have a manual, but theres supposed to be a finger hole of some sort to check the fluid level. dont know where to add new fluid tho. maybe the manual guys will chime in
Old 12-01-2009
Registered!!

Silver02EX is an unknown quantity at this point

I could be wrong but i don't think there's a pan with an manual tranny. To check the level there should be a drain bolt and a fill bolt above it. Undo the fill bolt and put your finger in there to check the level, if you don't don't feel any fluid, add more. a funnel and long tube works well.
Old 12-01-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silver02EX
I could be wrong but i don't think there's a pan with an manual tranny. To check the level there should be a drain bolt and a fill bolt above it. Undo the fill bolt and put your finger in there to check the level, if you don't don't feel any fluid, add more. a funnel and long tube works well.
That sounds about right to me... it's a bit of work though, just to check the fluid... if you are already there you may as well pull the drain bolt and put new fluid in.
Old 01-01-2010
Registered!!

terrible2 is an unknown quantity at this point

what about for an auto tranny, how do I check the oil on that?
Old 01-01-2010
Im a Senior Member. Take that Noobs!!

Foffie has a spectacular aura aboutFoffie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by terrible2
what about for an auto tranny, how do I check the oil on that?
use the dipstick located on the front orback of the trans depending on your car and check it while the car is off
Old 01-01-2010
Registered!!

laack is an unknown quantity at this point

manual transmission isnt too difficult if you have the right tools.. if you are on the passenger side of the car, look straight down on the side of the transmission below the batter box area. there is a bolt (17mm) i think, running parallel to the ground. use a torque wrench with a long handle of you have one, it will make it much easier on your knuckles. with the bolt out, put your finger just inside the hole, you should feel fluid. if not, its too low refil though this hole until fluid dribbles out. drain plug is directly below that bolt. it has a 3/8 drive square head to it. somewhat of a hard angle to get in there. no pan or filter. I'm sure someone has said it already, but use genuine honda transmission fluid only.
Old 01-01-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

auto trans fluid you always check when the car is hot and running, altho if youre fast you can quickly shut off the motor and then check it within 30 seconds. after that, you will not get an accurate reading.
Old 01-01-2010
Registered!!

terrible2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well ive checked all my dipsticks but I dont think any has led to the transmission = \ ill look more carefully
Old 01-01-2010
Premium Member

its towards the back and left when looking at the engine bay from the front. if you have the stock intake, you prolly wont be able to see it, but its underneath the resonator box.