Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Check transmission fluid level (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/324122-check-transmission-fluid-level.html)

hunch1784 11-30-2009 06:02 PM

Check transmission fluid level

I am the new owner of a 94 honda civic lx with 1.5L engine and 5 speed manual transmission. How do I check the level of my transmission fluid, and where do I add fluid? There is no dipstick to check if I need to add fluid and I think I may need to because it looks like I might have a small leak around the pan.

gearbox 11-30-2009 07:38 PM

Re: Check transmission fluid level

i dont have a manual, but theres supposed to be a finger hole of some sort to check the fluid level. dont know where to add new fluid tho. maybe the manual guys will chime in

Silver02EX 12-01-2009 01:01 AM

I could be wrong but i don't think there's a pan with an manual tranny. To check the level there should be a drain bolt and a fill bolt above it. Undo the fill bolt and put your finger in there to check the level, if you don't don't feel any fluid, add more. a funnel and long tube works well.

BlueEM2 12-01-2009 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Silver02EX (Post 4446624)
I could be wrong but i don't think there's a pan with an manual tranny. To check the level there should be a drain bolt and a fill bolt above it. Undo the fill bolt and put your finger in there to check the level, if you don't don't feel any fluid, add more. a funnel and long tube works well.

That sounds about right to me... it's a bit of work though, just to check the fluid... if you are already there you may as well pull the drain bolt and put new fluid in.

terrible2 01-01-2010 04:23 AM

what about for an auto tranny, how do I check the oil on that?

Foffie 01-01-2010 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by terrible2 (Post 4450852)
what about for an auto tranny, how do I check the oil on that?

use the dipstick located on the front orback of the trans depending on your car and check it while the car is off

laack 01-01-2010 09:46 AM

manual transmission isnt too difficult if you have the right tools.. if you are on the passenger side of the car, look straight down on the side of the transmission below the batter box area. there is a bolt (17mm) i think, running parallel to the ground. use a torque wrench with a long handle of you have one, it will make it much easier on your knuckles. with the bolt out, put your finger just inside the hole, you should feel fluid. if not, its too low refil though this hole until fluid dribbles out. drain plug is directly below that bolt. it has a 3/8 drive square head to it. somewhat of a hard angle to get in there. no pan or filter. I'm sure someone has said it already, but use genuine honda transmission fluid only.

gearbox 01-01-2010 05:35 PM

auto trans fluid you always check when the car is hot and running, altho if youre fast you can quickly shut off the motor and then check it within 30 seconds. after that, you will not get an accurate reading.

terrible2 01-01-2010 06:09 PM

Well ive checked all my dipsticks but I dont think any has led to the transmission = \ ill look more carefully

gearbox 01-01-2010 07:43 PM

its towards the back and left when looking at the engine bay from the front. if you have the stock intake, you prolly wont be able to see it, but its underneath the resonator box.