Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Trunk latch bounces open

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough
Trunk latch bounces open

Hey guys,

My 2001 Honda Civic EX trunk latch will not stay latched, I have tried adjusting the striker plate up, down, left and right. I cannot get the latch to lock onto the striker bar. The latch can be pushed into closed position with a screwdriver, but when closing the trunk (normally) the latch wont completely click onto the striker bar. Is the latch no good? I also screwed the rubber bumpers that prevent rumbling all the way in. And lastly I sprayed the hell out of the latch with WD40. Still no luck..

Thanks in advance
Old 06-03-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trunk latch bounces open

if you tried all those adjustments, you prolly need a new latch. if you have aftermarket alarm, why not go with the 01 accord electric latch that you can wire to the alarm and have a remote trunk opener.
Old 06-03-2009
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

the latch does not have that much adjustment pull it off and shimm it with some washers between the latch and the body. doing this moves the latch higher giving it a better chance to lock on. this is a notorious problem with the carbon fiber trunks
Old 06-24-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n6hs is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure that the return cable from the drivers seat is returning the latch release to it's closed position. This was the problem on my '02.
Harvey
Old 06-24-2009
Registered!!

2k2_EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had this problem turn out my latch was bended. i don't know how that happen. i end up this bending it with a plier and it lock.
Old 06-25-2009
Registered!!

edrulz2003 will become famous soon enough

yea im having the same problem also with my 01. I just shove it down real hard in the center and it stays shut but still its a pain. Also my key wont turn to let me in the trunk i gotta use the lever to open it up lol
Old 06-25-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

I think I threw away my stock trunk lock, otherwise you could have it for free. Just pick up an Accord actuator and hook it to your alarm like gearbox said.
Old 06-12-2012
winning

TRIPLE_D_BREEZY is an unknown quantity at this point

my 03 and 02 have the same issue. Honda wants 87 bucks for a new latch. i tried moving the striker around and i checked the cable for release too but it appears the plastic has just worn down so much there's nothing to push the latch over and lock. i may look into the accord latch as mentioned previously
Old 06-12-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Check your rubber stoppers on the left and right side of the trunk, make sure theyre not sticking out too much if they are twist them to the right and theyll go back in. Probably wont make a difference but just one more thing to try. If the latch is broken go on www.car-part.com and find one at a scrap yard in your area