Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Cold start issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jbutton is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Cold start issue

My 1995 Civic won't start if the engine is cold. It takes 15-20 minutes to turn over. I have to pump the gas in order to start the vehicle. Once the engine is warmed up it's good to go. It starts right up every time. It seems to happen when the car has sat overnight.

I've replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, battery. I'm wondering if it is a sensor or wiring problem. I've taken it to two different mechanics who cannot figure out the issue. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.
Old 03-05-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Cold start issue

dirty combustion chambers? or could be a dieing starter problem...
Old 03-05-2009
Registered!!

shadymechanic is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes cheap gas with heavy amounts of water get into the tank and cause issues in the cold. Use dry gas and better fuel, first. If that doesn't work then try to check the fuel pressure and cracked hoses, just don't flood the motor with all that pumping.

Get a Haynes manual. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined you can do this. If not then you have to find a better mechanic.
Old 03-24-2009
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice

Marvel Mystery oil, half pint in the gas tank (with 1/4 tank of gas) and 1/2 pint in the crank case, turn it over let run for 10 minutes then shut off, may smoke alot if you got a dirty combustion chamber or dirty fuel lines.
Old 10-11-2009
Registered!!

jjedynak88 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 1999 civic ex has this same problem, and with winter around the corner this is a a big hassle. It is not gonna be fuel freezing, that just doesnt happen these days anymore. And the starter is working just fine, it turns over he said and mine does too. It sputters and tries to run but it takes a minute or two or maybe more. On dsm's i know they have a coolant temperature sensor that goes bad, could this be a coolant temperature sensor that is faulty and the ecu is defaulting to 70 degrees and not putting enough fuel in for cold start enrichment?
Old 10-11-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

could be the main relay (bad solder joints).
Old 10-11-2009
Registered!!

YSIDRAG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
could be the main relay (bad solder joints).
That happend in EF's and DA's. Check fuel pressure. Sounds as if after it sits for a while it bleeds off the pressure witch it shouldnt. problem causing the would 1. pressure regulator or 2. fuel pump. A leak in the fuel system would cause it to ie; injector O-ring but you would smell the fuel unless it is a leaking injector that leaks it into the engine. My guess with out looking at the car.

Jay
Fabricated Performance