Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Help...Manual transmission fluid change....did I F*** up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starfox is an unknown quantity at this point
Help...Manual transmission fluid change....did I F*** up?

So I got a hold of the MTF change DIY. Got all the proper tools and everything . My question... SO I removed the filler bolt and the fluid started pouring. I got surprised and thought i removed the drain bolt by mistake so I stopped the proceduere. But it was the proper bolt. Is this normal? I know the honda manual says to check the level of the fluid by putting your finger in there. But if the fluid was pouring from the filler plug removal does that mean that i dont need to change the fluid because it is already full? Also now I am paranoid because I didnt finish the drain and fluid change and left my car like it is. Since a good amount drained from the filler bolt removal (10-16 oz) should I just finish the procedure and replace the fluid after I drain everything? Or will my car be alright ? I am at 55,200 miles.

****....um, yeah my car was not level (uphill, my bad). Does that change anything?
Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

bakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the rough
Re: Help...Manual transmission fluid change....did I F*** up?

It probably came out the fill hole because you were on an angle. Try on level ground, and then open the drain bolt and let it all run out. Then fill it up until it comes back out the fill hole, and you're good to go.
Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

SITNLOW97 will become famous soon enough

To start with the car has to be level, and if fluid pours out the fill plug with the car level then it is over full which isnt good. From what i heard it should be just barely be running out of the fill plug and thats full.
Old 10-21-2008
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, make sure its level. It will do that from the filler bolt if its not, but having it at an angle is good for removing most of the oil at is at the bottom of the transmission, after when most of the fluid is out, then level your car to fill it.
Old 10-21-2008
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about

Yes make sure your car is level. I change my tranny fluid every year (yup, I know its overkill, but its only fluids). The filler bolt should drip a little bit out, but not as much as you described.

Whenever I refill my tranny fluid, there's always a little still dripping out. I usually put the filler bolt in before it stops dripping out of the filler bolt hole. When re-filling your tranny fluid, you'll know its full when the fluid starts coming out of the filler bolt hole. I'm pretty sure you already knew that though.

GL, and enjoy the smooth shifting feel again.
Old 10-21-2008
Registered!!

starfox is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks.
Old 10-21-2008
Registered!!

rutscivic is an unknown quantity at this point

fill plug is a 17mm bolt directly above the drain plug (which is a 3/8" plug) and directly across from the axle. remove both plugs, let it drain, replace the bottom drain plug, then fill the trans. until a little trickles out the filler hole then replace the plug and torque to 35 ft. lbs. GOOD LUCK!