Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Oil Change => Honda Civic LX 2008

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
murliram is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil Change => Honda Civic LX 2008

Hi All,

I have a Honda Civic LX 2008 bought in December 2007

I am planning to change my oil. when i checked the % of oil life it says 70% and the milage on the car is 1668 miles.

Also please let me know along with oil what needs to be checked.

Can any one please advise me on this.

Thanx
Old 10-05-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oil Change => Honda Civic LX 2008

wow i guess you dont drive much. technically you should put 3-5k miles on the car before doing the first oil change so the engine can break in. it has a special oil from factory. but seeing as how its almost been a year, i would change it out because oil gets old over time even without driving. the oil meter i would not pay attention to, usually every 5 months or 5k miles you should have the oil changed.
Old 10-05-2008
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough

When i worked at honda i loved the new civics. SOOO easy to do an oil change
Old 10-05-2008
Registered!!

Protan988 is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you dont have a warranty on the car first of all. Because If you do your own oil changes that will most likely void the warranty. Oil doesnt really get ol however. If oil doesnt get old in a plastic bottle or tank than its not going to get old in your engine. However if it was my car I would still change it atleast every 6 months if i wasnt putting the mileage on it.
Old 10-05-2008
Registered!!

Krieger is an unknown quantity at this point

legally, changing ur own oil CANT void ur warranty, as long as its not proven to directly cause engine failure.

just like changing ur air intake... the federal government says its not going to break anything, and it still works as good as ur stock one, so it can't void your warranty.

the insurance companies will try to tell you otherwise, but just google it and prove em wrong.

btw, i wouldn't change it out unless it was in there for ever a year. the oil won't get old that fast... ive seen bottles that are YEARS old getting poured into cars and they work just fine. its really about the mileage, imho.

wait till you hit 2 or 3k.
Old 10-05-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

lol man , you cant compare new oil in a bottle to oil thats been in an engine. wow. it starts to oxidize the first time you drive the car after putting new oil in, assuming you do not add oil stabilizers. if you use a quality stabilizer like LC20, then yeah the oil will be good upto 10k miles. but you still have to change the filter every 5k so it doesnt matter.
Old 10-05-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

lol @ protan.

oil in a bottle stays at room temperature and stays idle. oil in your engine sees temperatures as high as 500 degrees, sloshes around the entire engine, goes through the tightest clearances a liquid can go through known to man, and is the only thing that protects your engine from catastrophic failure.

with that being said it would be better to change your oil everday rather than to say "oh oil doesnt get old" lol. its like saying an egg stays the same whether its in the egg carton or in a frying pan.

sorry i just had to say that.

to the OP, disregard the oil life as everyone else said. 5k miles or i would say 4 months maximum for your oil. i heard that if you tell the honda dealership you are changing your oil they can mark it in their system that you changed it so it will not void warranty if your engine broke with no recorded oil changes.

Last edited by civicsrcool; 10-05-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2008
Registered!!

joe6680 will become famous soon enoughjoe6680 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Protan988
Make sure you dont have a warranty on the car first of all. Because If you do your own oil changes that will most likely void the warranty. Oil doesnt really get ol however. If oil doesnt get old in a plastic bottle or tank than its not going to get old in your engine. However if it was my car I would still change it atleast every 6 months if i wasnt putting the mileage on it.
This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Lemme guess gas doesn't get old either right?
Old 10-06-2008
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough

FTW

Originally Posted by civicsrcool
lol @ protan.

oil in a bottle stays at room temperature and stays idle. oil in your engine sees temperatures as high as 500 degrees, sloshes around the entire engine, goes through the tightest clearances a liquid can go through known to man, and is the only thing that protects your engine from catastrophic failure.

with that being said it would be better to change your oil everday rather than to say "oh oil doesnt get old" lol. its like saying an egg stays the same whether its in the egg carton or in a frying pan.

sorry i just had to say that.

to the OP, disregard the oil life as everyone else said. 5k miles or i would say 4 months maximum for your oil. i heard that if you tell the honda dealership you are changing your oil they can mark it in their system that you changed it so it will not void warranty if your engine broke with no recorded oil changes.