Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Oil Change => Honda Civic LX 2008 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/311000-oil-change-honda-civic-lx-2008-a.html)

murliram 10-05-2008 01:48 PM

Oil Change => Honda Civic LX 2008

Hi All,

I have a Honda Civic LX 2008 bought in December 2007

I am planning to change my oil. when i checked the % of oil life it says 70% and the milage on the car is 1668 miles.

Also please let me know along with oil what needs to be checked.

Can any one please advise me on this.

Thanx

gearbox 10-05-2008 01:51 PM

Re: Oil Change => Honda Civic LX 2008

wow i guess you dont drive much. technically you should put 3-5k miles on the car before doing the first oil change so the engine can break in. it has a special oil from factory. but seeing as how its almost been a year, i would change it out because oil gets old over time even without driving. the oil meter i would not pay attention to, usually every 5 months or 5k miles you should have the oil changed.

boxcarracer 10-05-2008 02:00 PM

When i worked at honda i loved the new civics. SOOO easy to do an oil change :)

Protan988 10-05-2008 02:47 PM

Make sure you dont have a warranty on the car first of all. Because If you do your own oil changes that will most likely void the warranty. Oil doesnt really get ol however. If oil doesnt get old in a plastic bottle or tank than its not going to get old in your engine. However if it was my car I would still change it atleast every 6 months if i wasnt putting the mileage on it.

Krieger 10-05-2008 02:53 PM

legally, changing ur own oil CANT void ur warranty, as long as its not proven to directly cause engine failure.

just like changing ur air intake... the federal government says its not going to break anything, and it still works as good as ur stock one, so it can't void your warranty.

the insurance companies will try to tell you otherwise, but just google it and prove em wrong.

btw, i wouldn't change it out unless it was in there for ever a year. the oil won't get old that fast... ive seen bottles that are YEARS old getting poured into cars and they work just fine. its really about the mileage, imho.

wait till you hit 2 or 3k.

gearbox 10-05-2008 02:53 PM

lol man , you cant compare new oil in a bottle to oil thats been in an engine. wow. it starts to oxidize the first time you drive the car after putting new oil in, assuming you do not add oil stabilizers. if you use a quality stabilizer like LC20, then yeah the oil will be good upto 10k miles. but you still have to change the filter every 5k so it doesnt matter.

civicsrcool 10-05-2008 03:41 PM

lol @ protan.

oil in a bottle stays at room temperature and stays idle. oil in your engine sees temperatures as high as 500 degrees, sloshes around the entire engine, goes through the tightest clearances a liquid can go through known to man, and is the only thing that protects your engine from catastrophic failure.

with that being said it would be better to change your oil everday rather than to say "oh oil doesnt get old" lol. its like saying an egg stays the same whether its in the egg carton or in a frying pan.

sorry i just had to say that.

to the OP, disregard the oil life as everyone else said. 5k miles or i would say 4 months maximum for your oil. i heard that if you tell the honda dealership you are changing your oil they can mark it in their system that you changed it so it will not void warranty if your engine broke with no recorded oil changes.

joe6680 10-05-2008 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Protan988 (Post 4350645)
Make sure you dont have a warranty on the car first of all. Because If you do your own oil changes that will most likely void the warranty. Oil doesnt really get ol however. If oil doesnt get old in a plastic bottle or tank than its not going to get old in your engine. However if it was my car I would still change it atleast every 6 months if i wasnt putting the mileage on it.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Lemme guess gas doesn't get old either right?

boxcarracer 10-06-2008 01:08 AM

:)FTW

Originally Posted by civicsrcool (Post 4350656)
lol @ protan.

oil in a bottle stays at room temperature and stays idle. oil in your engine sees temperatures as high as 500 degrees, sloshes around the entire engine, goes through the tightest clearances a liquid can go through known to man, and is the only thing that protects your engine from catastrophic failure.

with that being said it would be better to change your oil everday rather than to say "oh oil doesnt get old" lol. its like saying an egg stays the same whether its in the egg carton or in a frying pan.

sorry i just had to say that.

to the OP, disregard the oil life as everyone else said. 5k miles or i would say 4 months maximum for your oil. i heard that if you tell the honda dealership you are changing your oil they can mark it in their system that you changed it so it will not void warranty if your engine broke with no recorded oil changes.