Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Natural Gas Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mikemathew is an unknown quantity at this point
Natural Gas Car

Natural-gas vehicles can emit 60 to 90 percent fewer smog-producing pollutants and 30 to 40 percent fewer greenhouse-gas emissions. In some big cities, according to NaturalGas.org, emissions can actually be cleaner than the surrounding air. An average dedicated natural-gas vehicle emits about 70 percent less carbon monoxide and 87 percent less NOx (nitrogen oxides) than a gasoline-engine car. Nearly 87 percent of the natural gas used is produced domestically. Most of the rest comes from Canada, not from politically unstable countries. A 300,000-mile pipeline network sends gas into 48 states. Because natural gas is used to heat homes, it's readily available in virtually all parts of the country.
===============================
mikemathew
Search engine optimization
Old 09-13-2008
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
Re: Natural Gas Car

where have u been for the past 6 years....

Last edited by LT2004ever; 09-13-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-13-2008
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

lol,

the only thing missing is stations and I am sure people will eat up ng cars if the price is right. Here NG is so close to the cost of gasoline that it wouldnt make a difference.
Old 09-13-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

they been testing this for awhile, at least in southern california. I see ng powered civics every once in awhile in the free way, every once in awhile i see a couple of EV rav4's around uci. I think the real question would be, can enough natural gas be produced to replace oil?
Old 09-13-2008
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

testing it for a while lol they have had it since the 6thgen civic's

the real questions is can you run the 12.5 compression natural gas piston's on 93 octane lol
Old 09-14-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bomerman19
testing it for a while lol they have had it since the 6thgen civic's

the real questions is can you run the 12.5 compression natural gas piston's on 93 octane lol
your missing the point of it. If you had a ng car, you wouldn't use gasoline at all. you would just use compressed natural gas.
Old 09-14-2008
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

No I'm not missing the point of it I know the car runs on natural gas. but the pistons in it are domed to 12.5 comp and you can drop them right into a regular d17 and run gasoline in it to make even more power. Natural gas needs an extremely high compression to burn efficiently so you need 12.5 comp to get maybe 90-95 hp out of it but if you are to stick those pistons in a normal d17 that runs on gas you will make a lot more power. The rods in the gx civic are also different they are shot peened so they are stronger than your standard d17 rods

So your missing the point I know the car runs on natural gas but what I am saying is that you can use the parts out of it to build a full on N/A race motor that runs on gasoline instead of natural gas.
Old 09-14-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bomerman19
No I'm not missing the point of it I know the car runs on natural gas. but the pistons in it are domed to 12.5 comp and you can drop them right into a regular d17 and run gasoline in it to make even more power. Natural gas needs an extremely high compression to burn efficiently so you need 12.5 comp to get maybe 90-95 hp out of it but if you are to stick those pistons in a normal d17 that runs on gas you will make a lot more power. The rods in the gx civic are also different they are shot peened so they are stronger than your standard d17 rods

So your missing the point I know the car runs on natural gas but what I am saying is that you can use the parts out of it to build a full on N/A race motor that runs on gasoline instead of natural gas.
the point of the thread is about using a alternative fuel to reduce emissions and dependence on oil, not making more horse power using gx pistons.
Old 09-14-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

If its the same price as gas, why not? It makes less towel heads with Uzis and a better planet. If I could mod it and it looked appealing, I'd be down. Removing the cat on our cars frees up a little power but has horrible emissions... well, a little water coming out my tailpipe as exhaust is cool with me.
Old 09-15-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to last century
Old 09-15-2008
Registered!!

i still think the government has to step in and do something similar to the manhattan project and get hydrogen down to affordable levels and build the infrastructure.

I just think there too many special interests to keep the status quo for private companies to do it.

If India can have hydrogen stations through there country by 2020, i dont understand why we can't.
Old 09-15-2008
Registered!!

FERIOHHHHHHHHHH will become famous soon enough

i have been looking into this as well. only really bad thing is, we can not convert this to the cars we have already. sure there are kits out there to run on cng and gasoline, so in case you run out of cng, the car automatically switches to gas. but these kits are not epa approved.

if i can convert to cng, i would do it in a heart beat. even if ng was same price as regular gas, you get double, maybe more, miles out of it then gas would. and there are cng stations around most areas already. i know in my area, sacramento, there is one.
Old 09-15-2008
Registered!!

i still think hydrogen is the future. I know mazda has a rotary rx8 that can switch between hydrogen or gas.