Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Natural Gas Car (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/310354-natural-gas-car.html)

mikemathew 09-13-2008 02:19 AM

Natural Gas Car

Natural-gas vehicles can emit 60 to 90 percent fewer smog-producing pollutants and 30 to 40 percent fewer greenhouse-gas emissions. In some big cities, according to NaturalGas.org, emissions can actually be cleaner than the surrounding air. An average dedicated natural-gas vehicle emits about 70 percent less carbon monoxide and 87 percent less NOx (nitrogen oxides) than a gasoline-engine car. Nearly 87 percent of the natural gas used is produced domestically. Most of the rest comes from Canada, not from politically unstable countries. A 300,000-mile pipeline network sends gas into 48 states. Because natural gas is used to heat homes, it's readily available in virtually all parts of the country.:evil:
===============================
mikemathew
Search engine optimization

LT2004ever 09-13-2008 10:02 AM

Re: Natural Gas Car

where have u been for the past 6 years....

ryox82 09-13-2008 11:41 AM

lol,

the only thing missing is stations and I am sure people will eat up ng cars if the price is right. Here NG is so close to the cost of gasoline that it wouldnt make a difference.

TemjinX2 09-13-2008 09:17 PM

they been testing this for awhile, at least in southern california. I see ng powered civics every once in awhile in the free way, every once in awhile i see a couple of EV rav4's around uci. I think the real question would be, can enough natural gas be produced to replace oil?

bomerman19 09-13-2008 10:36 PM

testing it for a while lol they have had it since the 6thgen civic's

the real questions is can you run the 12.5 compression natural gas piston's on 93 octane lol

TemjinX2 09-14-2008 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by bomerman19 (Post 4344876)
testing it for a while lol they have had it since the 6thgen civic's

the real questions is can you run the 12.5 compression natural gas piston's on 93 octane lol

your missing the point of it. If you had a ng car, you wouldn't use gasoline at all. you would just use compressed natural gas.

bomerman19 09-14-2008 02:38 PM

No I'm not missing the point of it I know the car runs on natural gas. but the pistons in it are domed to 12.5 comp and you can drop them right into a regular d17 and run gasoline in it to make even more power. Natural gas needs an extremely high compression to burn efficiently so you need 12.5 comp to get maybe 90-95 hp out of it but if you are to stick those pistons in a normal d17 that runs on gas you will make a lot more power. The rods in the gx civic are also different they are shot peened so they are stronger than your standard d17 rods

So your missing the point I know the car runs on natural gas but what I am saying is that you can use the parts out of it to build a full on N/A race motor that runs on gasoline instead of natural gas.

TemjinX2 09-14-2008 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by bomerman19 (Post 4344965)
No I'm not missing the point of it I know the car runs on natural gas. but the pistons in it are domed to 12.5 comp and you can drop them right into a regular d17 and run gasoline in it to make even more power. Natural gas needs an extremely high compression to burn efficiently so you need 12.5 comp to get maybe 90-95 hp out of it but if you are to stick those pistons in a normal d17 that runs on gas you will make a lot more power. The rods in the gx civic are also different they are shot peened so they are stronger than your standard d17 rods

So your missing the point I know the car runs on natural gas but what I am saying is that you can use the parts out of it to build a full on N/A race motor that runs on gasoline instead of natural gas.

the point of the thread is about using a alternative fuel to reduce emissions and dependence on oil, not making more horse power using gx pistons.

TRIZ 09-14-2008 09:30 PM

If its the same price as gas, why not? It makes less towel heads with Uzis and a better planet. If I could mod it and it looked appealing, I'd be down. Removing the cat on our cars frees up a little power but has horrible emissions... well, a little water coming out my tailpipe as exhaust is cool with me.

gearbox 09-15-2008 12:26 AM

welcome to last century

TemjinX2 09-15-2008 01:48 AM

i still think the government has to step in and do something similar to the manhattan project and get hydrogen down to affordable levels and build the infrastructure.

I just think there too many special interests to keep the status quo for private companies to do it.

If India can have hydrogen stations through there country by 2020, i dont understand why we can't.

FERIOHHHHHHHHHH 09-15-2008 02:25 AM

i have been looking into this as well. only really bad thing is, we can not convert this to the cars we have already. sure there are kits out there to run on cng and gasoline, so in case you run out of cng, the car automatically switches to gas. but these kits are not epa approved.

if i can convert to cng, i would do it in a heart beat. even if ng was same price as regular gas, you get double, maybe more, miles out of it then gas would. and there are cng stations around most areas already. i know in my area, sacramento, there is one.

TemjinX2 09-15-2008 02:42 AM

i still think hydrogen is the future. I know mazda has a rotary rx8 that can switch between hydrogen or gas.