Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

maintenance required

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lxciviclx is an unknown quantity at this point
maintenance required

I know that there are sticky's and billions of threads about this damn light. Trust me that I have spent hours reading and trying this procedure to get this light to go off on my car. I have literally turned on and off the car about 50 times trying to get the light to come off.
I was wondering if anyone has had this light to not be able to come off. Its a 2002 civic with 175,000 miles on it. The srs and maint reqd light will not go off and I am just guessing its from it having so many miles on it. I know that you guys are going to flame about this but I am up for it. I am very car savvy and have worked on many of cars but this thing is pissing me off. The flame retardant suit is on so flame away.
Old 10-15-2007
Registered!!

HondaCivicCat is a jewel in the roughHondaCivicCat is a jewel in the roughHondaCivicCat is a jewel in the roughHondaCivicCat is a jewel in the rough
Re: maintenance required

Hope this helps...took me 1 minute of searching and I found at least 3 threads that had this info...none the less...go here

SEARCH...its easy...even a noob like me can do it.
Old 10-15-2007
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light

hey is that an auto you're running w/ 175k mi? just wondering.. oh, and hold the button down when you turn the car on
Old 10-15-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

hold down the trip button while the car is off. then while still holding it down, turn key to ON position and wait 20 seconds. turn car off and let go. it should go off. srs is a different problem and dealer needs to reset that one, or fix the airbags if theres an actual problem.
Old 10-15-2007
Registered!!

HondaCivicCat, I understand where you are coming from. I hate it when noob's don't search at all. I have a 350Z and have been on forums for quite a while but searching is not the problem. I have read many threads and tried many things, yet the light will not come off. I think from where it is so old it will not come off, but I am not sure. I appreciate your help gearbox but I have done what you wrote over and over again, with no results. I was wondering if anyone had it to where the light would absolutly not come off. Thanks
Old 10-15-2007
Registered!!

Yes its an auto with 175,000 and it still runs pretty good with the exception with a few squeaks and rattles which is normal.
Old 10-15-2007
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light

maybe you should disconnect/reconnect your battery?

I like hearing our A/T will go at least 175k mi
Old 10-15-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

^^NO crap, I am happy as **** th hear it is an auto.

Anyway, if the light just will not go off then you actually have a problem. Have you checked the connections under the seat? I have had a few things slide around on the floorboard and knock the connections loose. Empty soda bottle text book etc..
Good luck and keep us posted. I am not going to flame you because you have already searched..
Old 10-15-2007
Registered!!

Yeah, appreciate it bud. The car was taken care of decently and was never driven hard, so the car seems to be in pretty good shape. I also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to reset the ECU but that still did not work. There is no problem either. Like the other posts said, the maintenance required light is solely based upon miles, it comes on every 10,000 miles. So it does not detect if anything is wrong with the car.
Old 10-15-2007
I like my commute

hrmm I wonder if you gank the fuse for those indicator lights and put it back in?
Old 10-15-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

Just for clarification: Are we talking about the SRS light or the Maintenance Required Light?

My answer was for the SRS.

For the Maintenance light, have you made sure that the pin is working? When you push it does it actually reset the mileage? If it does then, as you know, just push it in and hold it for 15 seconds then start the car, while still holding the pin, and hold it 15 more with the car running. Then turn the car off and restart as usual. If not then it is the pin. Also, if all else fails, pull the instrument cluster and let it set over night. IDk.
Old 10-15-2007
Registered!!

I actually brought up the topic of both but mainly the maintenance required light. The pin does work and it does reset but it seems there is no way to get that light to come off. I guess I will just have to deal with it. I have not really tried yet to get the srs light to come off yet. I guess that is dealing with the fact that the side air bags are off for some reason. I have not looked up how to turn those on.
Old 10-15-2007
Registered!!

HondaCivicCat is a jewel in the roughHondaCivicCat is a jewel in the roughHondaCivicCat is a jewel in the roughHondaCivicCat is a jewel in the rough

As a last resort (requiring semi-hard work) you could pull the cluster and then pull the bulb (not sure if this would throw a CEL though…would assume not) this would mean that the light would never come on, and you would never have to reset it. Or if you don’t want to pull the bulb you could use some electrical tape and tape over the bulb/light filter so that it doesn’t shine through. Just my suggestions, not sure how bad it is bugging you.

Sorry to noob flame you…I assumed that you did not know about the reset. No hard feelings. My bad.

I am not sure about the SRS light, maybe if you really were worried about it, then I think Honda has this diagnostic thingy (technical term…) that retraces electrical connections and finds out were the short/bad connection is…probably expensive though. Or you could go get a voltmeter or resistance gauge and start checking connections yourself. I would try what the others have said first, and it all depends on how bad the lights are bothering you.

My $0.02
Old 10-15-2007
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

step 1, take apart gauge cluster
step 2, get some black electrical tape
step 3, cover maint req light
step 4, reinstall gauge cluster
step 5, enjoy not seeing the light anymore

hahaha, thats all i can tell u, but if the light is just flashing, then it wont turn off ,it will only turn off when the light stays on, but if its on, id do as stated above
Old 10-15-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^hhahahahha cave man status
Old 10-15-2007
Registered!!

I got it guys, It was weird but worked. I disconnected the battery for like 2 minutes, reconnected, held down tripometer for 10 secs, turn key to on positions, held 10 secs, turned car on, then wahlah. SRS still on though, I will work on that later. I guess the ecu just likes me sometimes..?
Old 10-15-2007
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

there is a way to reset the srs light, but it only works sometimes, like when ur seat is disconnected while the battery is plugged in, otherwise, honda charges for it, about 70 bucks for diag, plus parts, and labor, it wont b cheap, but ur airbags wont deploy when the light is on
Old 10-16-2007
Registered!!

The SRS light is easy. Just do a search for SRS light.
Before you reset it make sure all the SRS devices are plugged in and in operable order.