Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Oil pan nut but missing washer

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r0nan is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil pan nut but missing washer

Recently bought a used 4D 2006 Civic EX. The previous owner did his own oil changes and I noticed after emptying the oil from the oil pan that there was no washer with the nut. I had to finish the job and so was forced to put the nut back without a washer and fill up with new oil.

How important is this washer? Will I get by until the next oil change or does this washer serve some crucial function whch I presently don't understand.
Old 08-26-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Oil pan nut but missing washer

The crush washer is a safety seal. When oil gets hot, it gets thinner, it can seep out the threads. The 1 time use washer crushes between the bolt head and pan, creating a seal.
Old 08-27-2007
Registered!!

susuking is on a distinguished road

OH ic ~ now i know why it leaks... the previous owner never put mine back too
Old 10-18-2007
Registered!!

LoneWolf is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civmaint01.html

^^^ there selling a 6 pack of those. I bought them. & I change it after every oil change
Old 10-18-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

i just started changing mine after every change, you can get the washers at napa too. honestly you can get away with using the same one a few times. ****, i never changed it on my first 7th gen, and never had a problem.
Old 10-18-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i got a bunch free from my old dealer parts dept. but if you buy it theyre like 10 cents each
Old 10-18-2007
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about

You can use the same washer several times. I prefer to change it every time though. The washer cost almost nothing to purchase, so you might as well change it every time. Better to be safe, than sorry.
Old 10-18-2007
7th gen old timer.

CivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmm lol i never replaced mine.... i just did the oil pan on my b18 and i go outside to a puddle of oil oil seal is fine its coming from the drain and it has a washer but its prob bad.... ill have to try this befor i get a new oil pan...