Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Is stalling a cause of bad alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gameboi499 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is stalling a cause of bad alternator?

With a bad alternator, you don't only have problems with starting the engine, but you also have problems with stalling right? This morning, while I was driving, the car suddenly stalled. I hit the gas, but the car won't go above 20mph. I pulled over, turned off the engine, then started it again. The engine turned over and the car did fire. But I kept having the same problem with stalling. Luckily, I was able to make it home. This is definitely caused by a bad alternator right? Is there a DIY on changing the alternator? I have a 01 ex by the way.
Old 09-28-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is stalling a cause of bad alternator?

possibly. have the charging system checked. usually the battery light comes on if the alternator isnt making enough power. otherwise you need to clean out the air intake system and IAC valve on the throttle body.
Old 09-28-2007
Registered!!

gameboi499 is an unknown quantity at this point

if the alternator is dead, can the car still fire? initially it can still fire right? because the battery is still storing enough charges right? approximately how long after the alternator is dead when the car can't start anymore?
Old 09-28-2007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice

i went for 3 days on a dead alternator... soooo... depends how much power u are using such as radio and headlights
Old 09-29-2007
Banned

7thgen.nick has a spectacular aura about7thgen.nick has a spectacular aura about

a while back when i did not give a **** about my car... sigh.. i didnt change the oil for like 8k miles... hah. suffering now none the les... but, i did have that same problem.. changed the oil, and it fixed it.

when was your last change? did you change the filter as well?