Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

What's wrong with my car?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
miklovo is an unknown quantity at this point
What's wrong with my car?!?

So I've been busy, bought a house, wife's pregnant..and well I haven't been on lately.

But now I have a problem and I NEED HELP before my car dies somewhere I don't want to be!!

When I go to start my car, it turns but doesn't fire. Doesn't do this very often, it's happened twice in the last 2 weeks and once about 2 months ago. It's only happened when I drive for awhile, park it for 20-40 mins then go to start it up and bam!!!! nothing, just turning over, but no Bang!!

I let it sit about 5 mins and then it fires just fine. What the hell?!? It's not the battery cause I got a new one about 6 months ago. I have no clue where to start..help...please....btw I have an 01 EX coupe 5sp. Thanks!!
Old 07-28-2007
Registered!!

dswami1 will become famous soon enough
Re: What's wrong with my car?!?

sparkplugs maybe? just guessing...
Old 07-28-2007
Registered!!

CIVIC X3 is on a distinguished road

lik the guy above me say...spark plug, or even worst ur starter...
Old 07-28-2007
Registered!!

that's the first thing that came to mind...
makes sense....no bang=bad plug(s), but would 3 yrs old denso iridiums already be bad???
Old 07-28-2007
Registered!!

PitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nice

how old they are doesn't really matter, its how many miles they have, if you've been driving it quite a few miles then sure they could be ready for a change...gl though
Old 07-28-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely not the starter. It wouldn't turn the car over if it was the starter. Pull the plugs, have a look at them and it would be helpful if you also posted pics of them so we can see them too. When diagnosing starting problems you've got to think in terms of what your car needs to start. That's fuel, air, and spark.

Start by pulling the plugs and making sure they're clean, gapped properly still, and not damaged. Like I said, post pics of them if you're not sure. If they look fine, drop them back in, make sure the coil packs are firmly seated and plugged in.

It's possible that one of your coil packs is going bad, but I don't even know where to start diagnosing that. Does the car run fine when it does start? If not, that may be an indication of a bad pack. I had one (or more?) go on the fritz after my car overheated. It ran like I didn't have compression, and was perfect after I changed them out. Go figure.

Just check air cleaner system (stock or cold air?) to make sure there aren't any obvious blockages. Also make sure that your throttle opens and closes freely.

If all this checks out, its time to check the injectors to see if you're consistently getting fuel. Now I have never done this, so if I'm wrong folks don't flame me just let me know, but if I had to here's what I would do.

I'd disconnect the fuel line (follow the normal, disconnect battery, relieve pressures, etc.. steps to do this) pull the rail and the injectors, pop a ziptie around each injector to hold them on to the rail, and then reconnect the fuel line and that vacuum line there on the rail. Basically just pull the rail and turn it so the injectors are out of the plate and facing up towards you. Put a big clear ziplock bag over the injectors and have someone turn the car over. If all the injectors shoot fuel, then they should be fine. Is there a better way? Probably, but not knowing it, its what I would do. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about with the ziptie.

Anyway, check air and spark first, then get back to us.
Old 07-28-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

almost sounds like a clogged injector, but spark plug is likely too. throw a bottle of the techron concentrate in the gas next time. its normal for car not to start every time but it shouldnt do that more than a couple times a week.
Old 07-28-2007
Registered!!

plugs only have about 35k on them. I have to go buy one of those spark plug unscrewing rods (lost mine somewhere in the move) and I'll pull my plugs out and take a look. I really hope its that simple, I have a AEM CAI btw and the trottle opens and closes just fine...thats the first thing i checked when I was stranded in the savemart parking lot..ahha
Old 07-28-2007
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know if this is a common problem on 7th gens but my sisters 92 vic did the same thing and she just had a bad fuel sending relay. Anybody think that could be the problem?
Old 07-28-2007
Registered!!

fuzzylogic426 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know when I use to turn the key too fast from the on position > start it would turn over but not start. This always seemed to happen after I drove it and parked it at school, or when it gets really hot outside. Now I just turn it to the on position and wait for the *ding ding ding* sound to stop (or the buzzing sound) and then I start it.

Last edited by fuzzylogic426; 07-28-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-28-2007
Bay Area

NytRyder2k2 is on a distinguished road

Possibly the alternator?
Old 07-28-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
0H3ebpEM2 will become famous soon enough0H3ebpEM2 will become famous soon enough

check for fuel system after you check the spark plugs. if the plugs are good then its something to do with your fuel system.

fuel filter, injectors, clogged, vacuum leak, fuel pump may be going out depending on how many miles are on your car.
Old 07-29-2007
Registered!!

eekicks is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have a amp hooked up to your fuse box????? I had this problem once and all I needed to do was tighten the boldt for the fuse box and walaah worked like a charm.
Old 07-29-2007
Registered!!

So here's the update...

I pulled all my spark plugs and they're good... plugs can't be the problem.
If it was my fuel pump wouldn't it miss occasionally WHILE I was driving/idling?? I don't know enough about the internals so if i'm totally off base just bear with me.... but if an injector is clogged and/or the pump is bad= no fuel getting into cylinder=no bang on that cylinder?!? right???

I only have 71k miles on it btw and yes I have an amp hooked up to my battery but that's been that way for years and never caused a problem.

I'm getting frustrated now...