Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

11:5 LS/VTEC issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1quickhatch is an unknown quantity at this point
11:5 LS/VTEC issues

i just built a ls/vtec with ls block, crank and rods with B16(pr3) piston heads with a B17 GSR head and manifold. only got 1300 miles on it now and when i got on it, it has good pick up and torque, but power cuts out at 5800 rpms and just struggles to gain power and rpms. it smokes and spark knocks when on open throttle. was wondering if anybody could help me. i have it timed just like any other ls, top dead center. my last ls/vtec with ls (pr4) pistons was timed the same way and ran great with no problems. what could be my problem with running thiese pistons. it has a comp. ratio of 11:5:1 and running 55 lbs. of fuel
Old 02-28-2007
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
youd be better off asking this on honda tech. you running high octane fuel and colder plugs?
Old 02-28-2007
Registered!!

no just mid-grade fuel and the 4 prong ngk spark plugs bout to full msd ignition on it
Old 02-28-2007
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
sounds like its not getting enough fuel top end. what are you using for tuning and vtec control?
Old 02-28-2007
Registered!!

chipped PW0 ecu with 4500 vtec and 9800 redline
Old 02-28-2007
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
first, i would ditch the pw0 and go obd1 with a chipped p28 for dohc, p30, or p72. second, 9800 redline is retarded. spin that damn bottom end apart. i would try 1 step colder plugs and high test fuel. 11.5:1 is a lil high on mid grade for me. if that doesnt work bump up the fuel pressure a tad. i doubt its fuel starvation because its smoking on the top end.
Old 02-28-2007
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
you should go to team-integra.net

You'll get more help there. We still gotta meet up sometime familycar.
I wanna pick your brain on building my block once i pay off some credit card debt.
Old 03-01-2007
Registered!!

nismostreets21 can only hope to improve
i had that same problem except i was b16 and turbo using msd ignition it would run fine when you first started it up up after 15 mins of driving extreme hesistation the whole way to 8k
Old 03-01-2007
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 1quickhatch
chipped PW0 ecu with 4500 vtec and 9800 redline
i agree with unclejuice completely after re-reading your post. I dont think fuel starvation is the issue. Sounds more like a timing issue.
as far as spinning those rpm's I wouldnt even consider going that high. i mean with ARP LS rod bolts you may get away with 8k shifts but i wouldnt go any higher even with ARP rod bolts. 9800 is asking for a spun rod bearing or broken rod.
I also am partial to OBDI vs. OBD0. a little extra monitoring isnt going to hurt but possibly help your situation. what size injectors are you running?? what program are you using to tune the ECU?
Old 03-01-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
you should go to team-integra.net

You'll get more help there. We still gotta meet up sometime familycar.
I wanna pick your brain on building my block once i pay off some credit card debt.
definately, I need an outing right now too. I am trapped in a house everyday with my 2 kids (both girls 4 and 12) my wife, 2 female miniature dogs and a female cat. its been about 3 weeks since i was able to sneak off on my own and have a day to myself so its about that time again. LOL! then i work 12hrs a day as well. what r your plans for the weekend?? we should try to get a few guys together and hang have a beer, blunt or something
Old 03-01-2007
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold
You might try retarding the timing a tad...
Old 03-02-2007
Registered!!

retarded timing one degree and didnt help any thing except the smoking! i dont like obd1 for some reason, even though i have a p62 b17 gsr ecu laying around! i guess i dont like it because its what everybody else does and thats what everybody tells me. it seems like the answer to everybodys problem! as for the high revving, its not a problem when u build it right. 500hp scat rods with arp head/rod bolts. turn 10000 rpms on my ls with no problems before converting ls/vtec. gonna try re-timing and advance intake a degree and see what happens. its gotta be somthing simple and right in front of me.
Old 03-02-2007
Registered!!

theres a reason everyone goes obd1. its not because its a fad or something cool to do, its for tuning. obd1 is the ****. ive got an obd0 g2 teg with an obd2a b20 that im about to convert to obd1. obd2 is garbage. and id like to see a reliable ls turn a consistant 10k without failure. anyway, retard intake and advance exhaust.