Engine Oil type - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2006   #1  
Registered!!

gilloz is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Oil type

I am waiting to get my new 2007 Honda Civic Coupe LX. In the meantime, I ordered the Service Manuals from Helm for this car. I am bothered by what I read as to the type of oil I should use for an oil change. The book says only to use the Honda Engine oil designated in the book. Is that just a ploy to buy their oil as oppose to using what is presently in the retail market? It seems this book only tells you to use Honda fluids for maintenance. I'd like to hear comments from Honda owners and anyone else. Thanks.
gilloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006   #2  
Registered!!

92lx is an unknown quantity at this point
i use castrol syntec in all my cars there is no need to use honda oil they just wont more money
92lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006   #3  
Registered!!

05blkrs is an unknown quantity at this point
yea just make sure you use the recomended viscosity and make sure you dont use synthetic for about the first 2 oil changes....
05blkrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006   #4  
Registered!!

Wadely is an unknown quantity at this point
Well Keep In Mind Honda Oil Isnt Honda Oil, Its Mobil, Exxon Mobil Is The Store Manufacturer And Distributor Of All Honda Fluids.
For My First Oil Change I Used Mobil 5w20, Since Then I Use Ams-oil 5w20, Best Synthetic Oil On The Market Next To Royal Purple.
Wadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006   #5  
Registered!!

05blkrs is an unknown quantity at this point
as far as engine oil, royal purple has seriously been slacking... amsoil is THE best oil on the market...
05blkrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006   #6  
Registered!!

Wadely is an unknown quantity at this point
Haha Yea I Think So, If Its Good Enough For A Super Bike Revving To 16 Thousand Rpms For A 100 Mile Race It Will Do For Me!
Wadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #7  
Registered!!

jdonline is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Engine Oil type

It's a marketing ploy to get you to believe that hondas need to be maintained with honda products. They're just trying to get more money out of you over the long run by buying the engine oil.

Honda Engine Locater
Mobile, AL
jdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #8  
Registered!!

MikeDawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05blkrs View Post
as far as engine oil, royal purple has seriously been slacking... amsoil is THE best oil on the market...
In what way has Royal Purple been slacking?
MikeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #9  
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice

i use 5w-20 quakerstate full synthetic
cwo715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #10  
Registered!!

IronSportster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilloz View Post
I am waiting to get my new 2007 Honda Civic Coupe LX. In the meantime, I ordered the Service Manuals from Helm for this car. I am bothered by what I read as to the type of oil I should use for an oil change. The book says only to use the Honda Engine oil designated in the book. Is that just a ploy to buy their oil as oppose to using what is presently in the retail market? It seems this book only tells you to use Honda fluids for maintenance. I'd like to hear comments from Honda owners and anyone else. Thanks.
I don't believe that all HONDA dealerships are on the same page when it comes to operating a vehicle with ONLY Honda Fluids/Oils. Some will void your warranty, others won't. When in doubt, ask. I have 1-year on my warranty and I'm going to jump through the hoops and use only Honda products until the warranty expires. BTW, the dealership where I got this Civic requires using ALL Honda products being that I do all my own maintenance.
IronSportster is offline   Reply With Quote