Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Engine Oil type (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/287500-engine-oil-type.html)

gilloz 09-28-2006 09:02 PM

Engine Oil type

I am waiting to get my new 2007 Honda Civic Coupe LX. In the meantime, I ordered the Service Manuals from Helm for this car. I am bothered by what I read as to the type of oil I should use for an oil change. The book says only to use the Honda Engine oil designated in the book. Is that just a ploy to buy their oil as oppose to using what is presently in the retail market? It seems this book only tells you to use Honda fluids for maintenance. I'd like to hear comments from Honda owners and anyone else. Thanks.

92lx 09-28-2006 10:55 PM

i use castrol syntec in all my cars there is no need to use honda oil they just wont more money

05blkrs 09-29-2006 12:47 AM

yea just make sure you use the recomended viscosity and make sure you dont use synthetic for about the first 2 oil changes....

Wadely 09-29-2006 08:42 AM

Well Keep In Mind Honda Oil Isnt Honda Oil, Its Mobil, Exxon Mobil Is The Store Manufacturer And Distributor Of All Honda Fluids.
For My First Oil Change I Used Mobil 5w20, Since Then I Use Ams-oil 5w20, Best Synthetic Oil On The Market Next To Royal Purple.

05blkrs 09-29-2006 03:40 PM

as far as engine oil, royal purple has seriously been slacking... amsoil is THE best oil on the market...

Wadely 09-29-2006 03:59 PM

Haha Yea I Think So, If Its Good Enough For A Super Bike Revving To 16 Thousand Rpms For A 100 Mile Race It Will Do For Me!

jdonline 09-06-2007 10:56 AM

Re: Engine Oil type

It's a marketing ploy to get you to believe that hondas need to be maintained with honda products. They're just trying to get more money out of you over the long run by buying the engine oil.

Honda Engine Locater
Mobile, AL

MikeDawg 09-06-2007 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by 05blkrs (Post 4115353)
as far as engine oil, royal purple has seriously been slacking... amsoil is THE best oil on the market...

In what way has Royal Purple been slacking?

cwo715 09-10-2007 09:24 AM

i use 5w-20 quakerstate full synthetic

IronSportster 10-09-2007 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by gilloz (Post 4115335)
I am waiting to get my new 2007 Honda Civic Coupe LX. In the meantime, I ordered the Service Manuals from Helm for this car. I am bothered by what I read as to the type of oil I should use for an oil change. The book says only to use the Honda Engine oil designated in the book. Is that just a ploy to buy their oil as oppose to using what is presently in the retail market? It seems this book only tells you to use Honda fluids for maintenance. I'd like to hear comments from Honda owners and anyone else. Thanks.

I don't believe that all HONDA dealerships are on the same page when it comes to operating a vehicle with ONLY Honda Fluids/Oils. Some will void your warranty, others won't. When in doubt, ask. I have 1-year on my warranty and I'm going to jump through the hoops and use only Honda products until the warranty expires. BTW, the dealership where I got this Civic requires using ALL Honda products being that I do all my own maintenance.