Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Changing coolant, da bolt won't friggin move!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
Changing coolant, da bolt won't friggin move!

So I changed my coolant the other day and used the drain twist tie shiznat on the bottom of the radiator.....ok so then after that, I was reading the owners manual on how to change the coolant, according to the manual, you have to loosen a bolt which is under the intake manifold above the the oil filter.... I tried several different ways to get it loose, but nothing worked, and I didn't have a wrench to fit up in there, I have plenty of wrenches believe me....HOW does anyone get that bolt off??? I'm assuming I have to get it off to drain the rest of the coolant, because I was told that the civic holds just under a gallon of coolant, and I only topped off about a half gallon after the coolant came out of the radiator.....do I HAVE to remove this bolt? seems impossible! Any tech support would be good thanks dudes.
Old 10-10-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Changing coolant, da bolt won't friggin move!

Dont worry about it. You changed a good bit of the coolant (over half) by draining the radiator. There isnt an easy way to jam a big wrench up there, I wouldnt bother. If you get it off, you have to get that same big wrench back up there and tighten it back down...
fill the radiator, run the car for a few minutes with the heater on, then drain the radiator again. That ought to do the trick if you dont think you did enough.
Old 10-11-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome, thanks for the pointers, I was thinking about just draining it again and filling the second half gallon. I think I will.
Old 10-11-2007
Registered!!

thinknology is an unknown quantity at this point

You could also flush the system, run water all the way through while running the car. When it's all clear begin running coolant through it until you get all the water out.