Spark plug gapping - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-05-2006   #1  
Registered!!

4BDN_CIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
Spark plug gapping

hey everyone, i know this is a stupid question but can anyone tell me what the manufacturer spark plug gapping is??? i know this has probably been asked a million times, and i'd look at my owners manual but i bought the car used and there is now owners manual. its for a 2001 Civic LX (sedan non v-tec). any replies would be appreciated

-harvey
4BDN_CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #2  
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
look it up on sparkplugs.com it will tell you in the list.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #3  
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I want to say its either .040 or .044... but the car uses platinums and they're usually too brittle to gap, and they're made to work out of the box if you buy the right plug.
Boilermaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #4  
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
I actually called a Honda dealer about this a few weeks ago. They say .7 to .8 mm. I don't remember what the figure was in fractions of an inch. I've looked this up on the forum and have found many different opinions on whether plugs need to be gapped at all. According to Autozone, Honda recommends platinum plugs. The consensus on this forum is that Bosch, and other cheap platinum plugs don't count, cause just the tip is platinum, with a copper core, instead of the platinum tip and core in OEM plugs. This is all other people's opinions that i've read on here. My own input is that I bought Denso Iridiums, ($50 for the 4 plugs) and didnt' gap them. Everything seems to be running fine, though I didn't notice any increase in power. I didn't really expect to, tho. Everyone i've talked to says do not attempt to gap iridium plugs, as the electrode is too thin, and will bend or break. Hope this helps.
AmbulanceMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #5  
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
.044"
ctx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #6  
Registered!!

4BDN_CIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for all the replies guys very helpful!!!
4BDN_CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #7  
I Pinch.

Sinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of light
On my 02 ex it's on the sticker on the bottom of the hood. On mine it says 1.0-1.1mm Which equals(roughly).040-.044 inches.

Hope that helped.
Sinisterdexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #8  
Type-Race

doctor will become famous soon enoughdoctor will become famous soon enough
Yea I got some denso awhile back also and just put them right in...arent they usually pre-gapped?
doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #9  
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya the iridium tips would just break if you tried to gap it.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote