Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

K&N air filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mykicks007 is an unknown quantity at this point
K&N air filter

Can anyone tell me if using a K&N air filter is really worth it ? Having to wash, let dry, re-oil ? Are they better than a regular filter, or is it just cause it's re-usable ?
Old 03-26-2006
Registered!!

deadphishy is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a K&N air intake system. I love the sound it makes, Plus slight gains in the high end. But over all just getting a filter is only nice if you don't like spending 8 dollars on a filter every 6 month. But i don't think you will notice anything.
Old 03-26-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
As far as a good investment, Yes. You should only have to wash it once a year under normal circumstances. If you do get a K&N, keep your old paper one around so when you do wash it you have something to put back in while it's out of your car.
Old 03-26-2006
Registered!!

Black03civic has a spectacular aura aboutBlack03civic has a spectacular aura aboutBlack03civic has a spectacular aura about
the new K&N have these new blk filters that i belive dont have to be re oiled. Some one correct me if i am wrong
Old 03-26-2006
Registered!!

Spartacus is an unknown quantity at this point
You wont notice anything, but I believe in the idea of less air resistance. Someone should do test. Drive one week normal driving with paper filter then do the KN filter and compare mileages. I should have dont that
Old 03-26-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
thought that was aem dryflow
Old 03-26-2006
I need a drop

thefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the rough
its aem, im almost positive.
Old 03-30-2006
Registered!!

natedogg is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't noticed any change with the K&N filter, but like someone said above me, it beats changing the paper one all the time. IMO, use your $$ towards an intake.
Old 03-30-2006
Registered!!

Dticalman81 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a K&N drop-in air filter as well. The car does ride a lil quicker than with the stock oem air filter cos I tested them out. But one thing I realize is that even though you clean the K&N filter, it's still dirty from so many miles drive with it. So my question is: How do you clean it so that ALL the black grime completely gets out cos I dont think it's possible since it's reusable. The oem filter's good too, but I notice that with the K&N air filter, the car drives a lil quicker in terms of acceleration. Someone help. Thx.
Old 04-03-2006
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
I used a toothbrush if it doesnt come off with water and the cleaning solution.

Last edited by CuRiOuSfIsH; 04-03-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-03-2006
Registered!!

civics4everyone is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had K&N filters for almost everyone of my cars and Atv's. I think they make a great product and if You do get one dont buy a cheap imitation. I got one for my 2002 civic(oem style) because I thought Id get better fuel economy but its like exactly the same. It does seem to give you a tiny bit more power, but not much. Ive done some research recently and found that paper air filters should be used if you intend to put tons of miles on. K&N filters may only filter 1% less than paper but multiply that over 150K miles. I only have a civic LX so im not intending to race anyway.K&N filters only really work in conjuction with other mods anyway. Oiling is easy and only takes a few minutes but im gonna put my K&N in a box, I used it for about 40K though. If you get One wash gently so you dont ruin the fibers and buy the kit to clean and oil it. I ordered my on Ajusa.com for around $36 w/free shipping.
Old 04-03-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
actually a new K&N filters at 92% efficiency. A dirty K&N can filter upto 97%. Paper and the factory oem minimum is 98%.
Old 04-03-2006
Registered!!

Dticalman81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
actually a new K&N filters at 92% efficiency. A dirty K&N can filter upto 97%. Paper and the factory oem minimum is 98%.
wow. Good facts/statistics, if true. I will try to use that in the future. I've been using K&N for about 35,000 miles now. I recently bought a new oem air filter and put that one in. I could notice that the oem was a lil bit more slower in terms of airflow which was slower than the k&n filter. But i guess it filters more, so it's all gewd..
Old 04-03-2006
Premium Member

i use foam filter for my intake

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/air-f...comparison.htm
Old 04-03-2006
Registered!!

MarkieMark will become famous soon enough
i have a k&n filter. i had a reg. paper filter in before i switched out. it was a dark grayish in color. when i switched w/ the k&n filter i def. noticed the car was more responsive. i didn't expect any gains from it just got it for the replacement.
Old 04-17-2006
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice
go Green Stuff air filter, better than K&N if your going stock, if you have an intake go Weapon R secret...mmmm
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

mikem317 should not be trusted
Does anybody have dynos for the two filters, OEM and K&N?

I highly doubt that there's any real "performance". It's all perceived, IMO. I might get one, I like the idea of reusing, which should be less expensive in the long-run.
Old 04-24-2006
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
on a D17, K&N drop in filters will not increase HP. It's nice to keep re-using and potentially save some $$ but it may be possible that the materials may break down from age after a long while. And it's always safer to go OE paper.
Old 04-24-2006
Premium Member

K&N is garbage, imo. I will never use their filter again.
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

rjngo will become famous soon enoughrjngo will become famous soon enough
worth the buy...been using it for years now, even on my old car
Old 04-25-2006
Registered!!

mikem317 should not be trusted
Originally Posted by rjngo
worth the buy...been using it for years now, even on my old car
How's it "worth it"?

Do you mean, you save money because you can reuse the filter?

Or you think it's adding power/torque to your machine?
Old 04-25-2006
Registered!!

Flashlightboy is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a FIPK on my '03 that I haven't cleaned in a couple of years. gearbox is correct on the filtering numbers i.e., a dirty K&N filters better.

I think the the FIPK is a cleaner looking mod than leaving in the clunky factory airbox and it does offer something on the high end but it's not a wonder mod other than saving weight over the factory box.

I'll clean it this summer which will be two years since installed.