Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   K&N air filter (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/253802-k-n-air-filter.html)

mykicks007 03-26-2006 11:09 AM

K&N air filter

Can anyone tell me if using a K&N air filter is really worth it ? Having to wash, let dry, re-oil ? Are they better than a regular filter, or is it just cause it's re-usable ?

deadphishy 03-26-2006 12:23 PM

I have a K&N air intake system. I love the sound it makes, Plus slight gains in the high end. But over all just getting a filter is only nice if you don't like spending 8 dollars on a filter every 6 month. But i don't think you will notice anything.

01HonderCivic 03-26-2006 12:27 PM

As far as a good investment, Yes. You should only have to wash it once a year under normal circumstances. If you do get a K&N, keep your old paper one around so when you do wash it you have something to put back in while it's out of your car.

Black03civic 03-26-2006 01:06 PM

the new K&N have these new blk filters that i belive dont have to be re oiled. Some one correct me if i am wrong

Spartacus 03-26-2006 01:11 PM

You wont notice anything, but I believe in the idea of less air resistance. Someone should do test. Drive one week normal driving with paper filter then do the KN filter and compare mileages. I should have dont that

gearbox 03-26-2006 01:17 PM

thought that was aem dryflow

thefever 03-26-2006 01:43 PM

its aem, im almost positive.

natedogg 03-30-2006 02:36 PM

I haven't noticed any change with the K&N filter, but like someone said above me, it beats changing the paper one all the time. IMO, use your $$ towards an intake.

Dticalman81 03-30-2006 06:05 PM

I have a K&N drop-in air filter as well. The car does ride a lil quicker than with the stock oem air filter cos I tested them out. But one thing I realize is that even though you clean the K&N filter, it's still dirty from so many miles drive with it. So my question is: How do you clean it so that ALL the black grime completely gets out cos I dont think it's possible since it's reusable. The oem filter's good too, but I notice that with the K&N air filter, the car drives a lil quicker in terms of acceleration. Someone help. Thx. :giggle: :rofl:

CuRiOuSfIsH 04-03-2006 01:05 PM

I used a toothbrush if it doesnt come off with water and the cleaning solution.

civics4everyone 04-03-2006 05:53 PM

I have had K&N filters for almost everyone of my cars and Atv's. I think they make a great product and if You do get one dont buy a cheap imitation. I got one for my 2002 civic(oem style) because I thought Id get better fuel economy but its like exactly the same. It does seem to give you a tiny bit more power, but not much. Ive done some research recently and found that paper air filters should be used if you intend to put tons of miles on. K&N filters may only filter 1% less than paper but multiply that over 150K miles. I only have a civic LX so im not intending to race anyway.K&N filters only really work in conjuction with other mods anyway. Oiling is easy and only takes a few minutes but im gonna put my K&N in a box, I used it for about 40K though. If you get One wash gently so you dont ruin the fibers and buy the kit to clean and oil it. I ordered my on Ajusa.com for around $36 w/free shipping.

gearbox 04-03-2006 06:34 PM

actually a new K&N filters at 92% efficiency. A dirty K&N can filter upto 97%. Paper and the factory oem minimum is 98%.

Dticalman81 04-03-2006 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox
actually a new K&N filters at 92% efficiency. A dirty K&N can filter upto 97%. Paper and the factory oem minimum is 98%.

wow. Good facts/statistics, if true. I will try to use that in the future. I've been using K&N for about 35,000 miles now. I recently bought a new oem air filter and put that one in. I could notice that the oem was a lil bit more slower in terms of airflow which was slower than the k&n filter. But i guess it filters more, so it's all gewd.. :giggle:

gearbox 04-03-2006 08:46 PM

i use foam filter for my intake

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/air-f...comparison.htm

MarkieMark 04-03-2006 11:15 PM

i have a k&n filter. i had a reg. paper filter in before i switched out. it was a dark grayish in color. when i switched w/ the k&n filter i def. noticed the car was more responsive. i didn't expect any gains from it just got it for the replacement.

cwo715 04-17-2006 09:24 PM

go Green Stuff air filter, better than K&N if your going stock, if you have an intake go Weapon R secret...mmmm

mikem317 04-24-2006 05:30 PM

Does anybody have dynos for the two filters, OEM and K&N?

I highly doubt that there's any real "performance". It's all perceived, IMO. I might get one, I like the idea of reusing, which should be less expensive in the long-run.

CuRiOuSfIsH 04-24-2006 05:54 PM

on a D17, K&N drop in filters will not increase HP. It's nice to keep re-using and potentially save some $$ but it may be possible that the materials may break down from age after a long while. And it's always safer to go OE paper.

gearbox 04-24-2006 10:01 PM

K&N is garbage, imo. I will never use their filter again.

rjngo 04-24-2006 10:19 PM

worth the buy...been using it for years now, even on my old car

mikem317 04-25-2006 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by rjngo
worth the buy...been using it for years now, even on my old car

How's it "worth it"?

Do you mean, you save money because you can reuse the filter?

Or you think it's adding power/torque to your machine?

Flashlightboy 04-25-2006 11:05 AM

I have a FIPK on my '03 that I haven't cleaned in a couple of years. gearbox is correct on the filtering numbers i.e., a dirty K&N filters better.

I think the the FIPK is a cleaner looking mod than leaving in the clunky factory airbox and it does offer something on the high end but it's not a wonder mod other than saving weight over the factory box.

I'll clean it this summer which will be two years since installed.