Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Is Time For My Tune-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005
Dear Mr. Toilet, I'm The S.H.I.T.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to all
Is Time For My Tune-up

I'm going to do my tune-up on my car and I would like to know what are some good spark plugs and other stuff I need? Thanks.
Old 11-18-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Spark plugs, generally people just stick to the OEM platinum ones, their around $15 a piece in AutoZone, some people say around 3 a piece, but I think those are just platinum tip and copper core, make sure to get the pure platinum. The Iriduim work too, but I never notice a difference when I put them in versus the platinum. The direct ignition system pretty much requires the best plugs out there.

Other than plugs there is not much, no cap, rotor, wires or anything like that. So you spend more on plugs, but save on the rest, I think it costs about the same in the end.
Old 11-18-2005

IrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to all
so the ones from autozone are the same from the honda dealer but just cheaper?
Old 11-19-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by IrockCivics
so the ones from autozone are the same from the honda dealer but just cheaper?

Well, no, the ones you find at AutoZone are the just caps. I think Autozone has a Denso Iridium that is works well, but it's about $13. Most of their platinums I've seen (I just checked their website) are the capped ones that have a to large of a resistacne for the direct ignition systems.

Here is part number and manufacturer of the spark plugs depending on which model you have. I would search around for those exact plugs (all of them are platinum) form a different source than the delaer. I think a couple of people actually sell them on this site, check out our vendors, try Dezod or TrueHonda, I think they have them. Or where ever you can find them on the internet. I personally know a little NAPA shop by me that carries NGK and denso and I buy them there for about $10 a piece.

LX/DX/VP/HX = PZFR6F-11 (NGK) $13.something
EX = PKJ20CR-M11 (denso) $13.61
http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.asp

In generall if it's less than $10, it's probably a cap style. I personally don't use the caped ones, but I know people on here who have used them and been fine with them. The way I see it is that the full platinum plug is what Honda put in, I would think if they could save $7-$8 for each plug, they would. SO there has to be a reason they put the expensive ones in. So I'll follow them. But to each our own
Old 11-22-2005
Registered!!

igetmadchocha is an unknown quantity at this point
big pun rules
Old 11-22-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by igetmadchocha
big pun rules

wow hahah yeah he does. but you dragged a thread from the dead to declare your love for a dead rapper.
Old 11-22-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
just get ngk vpower and change them more often. what mileage are you at? there are tons of maintenance things to do.
Old 11-23-2005

ok I understand now JrFISH007 thanks for breaking it down for me........... igetmadchocha I like your user name lol I love chocha and about bigpun he's my favorite I got alot of **** about him...... gearbox my mileage rite now is on 41,xxx and I bought the car with 4,xxx all I did was oil canges, brakes, new tires the easy stuff thats all I never did nothing else since I got it.
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
But's thats me, i'm at 50,000m and i've got oil, tranny, plugs, cabin filters, e-brake adj, rear drum adj, brake fluid, engine valves adjusted.
Old 11-23-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
brake fluid every 3 years, tranny fluid (manual) can wait til 60k prolly but auto you're already too late, coolant every few years, get some lubecontrol.com products to clean the engine/fuel system, spark plugs? check ground connections, adjust e-brake.
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
Ya, I like to do my manual tranny ofted, it's a cheap price to pay for how smooth it feels after.
Old 11-23-2005

is it the same for a automatic?
Old 11-23-2005
Premium Member

i change auto tranny fluid every 10k. you are just doing a drain and refill, so there is always some old fluid left over. The manual says 30k, but our trannies are very fragile. I wouldn't go more than 15k, and I would definately recommend getting an oil cooler.
Old 11-24-2005

Originally Posted by gearbox
i change auto tranny fluid every 10k. you are just doing a drain and refill, so there is always some old fluid left over. The manual says 30k, but our trannies are very fragile. I wouldn't go more than 15k, and I would definately recommend getting an oil cooler.

well, the oil cooler thing can be bad if you live in a cold area, like it's 9F outside right now. Unless you have some sort of thermostat in in the tranny fluid cooler, runnning cold fluid to your tranny could be bad. Now if you live in say Vegas or someplace hot and warm all year, then maybe a tranny cooler is a good idea. But really in cold places it is a bad idea because to cold tranny fluid can end up hurting.