Cleaning KnN Filter on Intake - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2005   #1  
i5r
Registered!!

i5r is an unknown quantity at this point
Cleaning KnN Filter on Intake

im sorry if this is a repost but i searched and cannot find, how often should i clean my intake, and is it manditory? and how (without buying the kNn cleaning kit) does it make the car sound better and give noticable/better performance immediatly afteR?
i5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #2  
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
you clean it depending on how fast it gets dirty. It varies with your driving habbits. If you are driving in the city alot and dirty areas, you may want to clean it more often. But if you drive all highway miles, you probably can go longer. I would say its mandatory you clean it, otherwise you will lose power and start running a rich condition and lose fuel mileage. The K&N filter alone wont give you any different sound. Its just like a regular air filter, is there to filter out dirt from entering the engine. Its supposed to allow more air to flow though the filter thus giving you some better power. thats it. But its not going to be something you will be able to tell. To me, I think the K&N is a waiste. I stick with the fram air filters or whatever walmart has and change it every 15-30K or so.
streetglower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #3  
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i would not clean a K&N for at least 50k miles. the dirt helps it filter better. That is unless its really dirty like covered and no filter visible.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #4  
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...n+K%26N+filter

use this to help you.

I just learned some new facts after reading some articles as well.
streetglower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #5  
i5r
Registered!!

lol nice thanks, but can i clean it any other way besides using the kit?
Old 10-27-2005   #6  
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
^why bother, the K&N cleaning kit is like $15
skipbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #7  
Registered!!

zen_master is on a distinguished road
erh....that reminds me of my k&n air filter.....i only used it for like 15K or something......

i opened and clean it w/o the charger kit though....just vacuum it with vacuum cleaner...lol...

i guess i still have all my time with that filter...
zen_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #8  
i5r
Registered!!

ohh serious its only 15$ lol usd = more money in CND!
Old 11-06-2005   #9  
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice
dont even bother cleaning it, so many people foul up the engine with the oil (which is just diesel and kerosine i believe), if you want a great filter, go Monster Flow Foam and Weapon R Secret, they sound great... like a mini B16
cwo715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005   #10  
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
^^^ yes, many ppl mess up their MAF sensor b/c they oil it like CRAZY! The instructions dont say spray it everywhere w/ an inch distance....
CuRiOuSfIsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005   #11  
Registered!!

CivicSF should not be trustedCivicSF should not be trusted
um that fram stuff is bullshit materials. saw some scientific experiments in david vizard books on some auto products where oil & filter brands are compared and fram was made of cheap stuff dont use that crap you might have little peices of oil filter paper in your engine and holes in your filtration paper

no joke
CivicSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005   #12  
Registered!!

CivicSF should not be trustedCivicSF should not be trusted
make sure there's no small animals stuck in there.

don't use vacuum to clean it, the microfibers will be sucked out of the filament. just use soft water & K&N cleaning stuff.
CivicSF is offline   Reply With Quote